Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 25th, 2014 03:00

Performance of Precision M6800 in PR02X dock

I have a new Precision M6800 with i7-4940 CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA K5100M, 2x512GB SSD & Windows 8.1. It has excellent performance running undocked but when I connect it to a PR02X Advanced E-Port dock with 2x U2412Ms everything slows down. I can't find any advice to suggest the PR02X isn't compatible with the 6800 and when docked everything works but performance is awful.

Video performance seems not too bad - which I expected could be a problem - but loading off disk in particular seems slow:

Docked (secs) Undocked (secs)
Boot to login  30 22
Login to desktop 6 4
Load development IDE 40 4
Load task manager  4 1
Load Outlook 18 3

I've looked through the BIOS but can't find anything relevant there. I've also made sure there's nothing running that's hitting disk, CPU, network or RAM.

I've run full diagnostics while docked and while undocked, and everything passes with no issues reported.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received - it's driving me nuts!

1 Message

December 10th, 2014 08:00

I am having the same issue, but much more extreme (slower) than that.  I contacted Dell and they told me that the video card (NVIDIA) graphics are not supported.

I asked if the Pro3X was supported, but she referred me to the "Super Speed 3.0" station.

This docking station does not have power, though, and I also saw a thread that said NVIDIA cards have issues on that too.

I never go the question answered about the Pro3X and ever-so-kind support person disconnected me from the chat session when I questioned her on the suggestion.

At this point, it appears that either the 3X might work, or we're stuck and have no docking port solution.

2 Posts

December 10th, 2014 09:00

After speaking to Dell support it seems the older E-Port isn't supported and does exhibit these problems. I've since upgraded to the later model, the one with USB3 ports, and this works perfectly.

No Events found!