Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 11th, 2012 14:00

Please help with my XPS 15z Cypress Trackpad/Touchpad

Sorry, but I feel the need to vent a little first.  My old laptop was a Dell Inspiron E1705 that's about 7 years old now, and it was showing it's age.  The hinges weren't holding, and it takes some effort steady the screen at the desired angle.  It's heavy, and gets super hot (almost burn worthy) when sitting in one's lap.  It only has 1GB of RAM, and is running Windows XP.  Nevertheless, it served me well, and I loved that laptop. 

But it was time to get a new one so I bought a Dell XPS 15z.  I've had it for a week now, and have some minor complaints about it: lower resolution, inferior speakers, and a keyboard that feels weird and is missing some keys.  But I was willing to look past all that, as it does have amazing performance:  i5-2450M CPU @ 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM, 750GB 7200RPM hard drive, and is much lighter and easier to carry around.

However, the Cypress trackpad/touchpad is just plain awful and really ruins things.  Let me put my problems with it in list form (FYI, I have the latest Cypress Dell drivers installed, 2-finger, and multi-finger gestures turned off, and tap-to-click disabled-sorta):

• On my old laptop, with my right hand, I was able to use my middle finger to do vertical edge scrolling, while being able to click the left or right button with my index finder.  The vertical edge scrolling was perfectly responsive, and could "coast", making browsing the internet a breeze.  The Cypress touchpad on the other hand is huge, and the mouse buttons are narrow, making my right-handed scrolling-and-clicking technique impossible without gorilla-sized hands and a dislocated index finger. 
  • The vertical scrolling is atrocious as sometimes it recognizes my attempt to scroll, sometimes it doesn't, and seems to randomly decide when it's going to work or not. 
  • When it does scroll, it does so way too quickly, preventing me from slowly scrolling down a page while reading, instead choosing to jump a paragraph or two down or up, despite my setting it to scroll 1 line at a time. 
  • There's also no "coasting" feature, forcing me to make multiple swipes at the pad to scroll down a page.
  • Another major annoyance is that if I accidentally have 2 fingers making contact with the touchpad and click the left mouse button, guess what it does?  It performs a right-click...wtf is that?  The huge pad and narrow buttons make accidentally having 2 points of contact on the touchpad a frequent occurrence. To have a left-click perform a right-click seems like the most counter intuitive thing it could do.  Whoever made the decision about that behavior needs to be fired.
  • The tap-to-click option returns after rebooting despite my turning it off.  I turned it off because again, it's hard not to accidentally make contact with the huge touchpad.  And if you're typing, it caused the cursor to jump around and screwed up what you were typing.

I thought I found a solution by uninstalling the Cypress touchpad drivers, and just using the default Windows 7 mouse driver.  The vertical scrolling was much improved (though still no coasting), and I could live with it.  However, I've found no way of disabling the tap-to-click feature despite googling for hours.  Anyone know how to do this?

I'm typing this message with my old laptop, and good God do I miss this one's Synaptic touchpad and driver.  I'm actually considering returning my new laptop as I just can't use it with that Cypress trackpad.

What do you other XPS 15z users do?  I'm sure plugging in a USB mouse helps, but it's not a valid "fix", as it's unrealistic to always use an external mouse.

I'm just beyond frustrated with it.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 18th, 2012 16:00

Thanks for the post

Here is a link to a larger post regarding the trackpad on the XPS 15z.

en.community.dell.com/.../19896678.aspx

If you have not tried this driver I suggest that you do so.

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

TB

10 Posts

June 20th, 2012 19:00

Hallelujah!  After digging through 20 pages of that thread, someone suggested installing the drivers for the XPS 13.  I did that, and finally the touchpad works as desired.  The vertical scrolling works mostly the way I want, and the tap-to-click function can be disabled.  Phew...wish I didn't have to so much time researching, but glad it appears to be resolved.  I haven't tried rebooting yet to see if the tap-to-click stays disabled, but I'm just happy things are finally working.

10 Posts

June 20th, 2012 22:00

Well, spoke too soon.  The XPS 13 driver got me most of the way there, but there was still a problem with pressing a key while moving the mouse causing the trackpad to be disabled and forcing me to lift my finger off the trackpad for about a second before it would be reenabled.  Very frustrating.  Fortunately, in that same thread a couple users narrowed the problem down to some registry entries, and changing those did indeed fix that problem.  Here's the relevant info from that thread, credit goes to machiz7888 and BadgerP.

Only 2 of those 3 settings need to be changed.

* DisableTrackPadWhenKeyboardActive

* KeystrokeDesensitivityEnable

No need to change KeyboardTapGueardEnable.

10 Posts

June 11th, 2012 20:00

More hours of googling wasted.....I'm using the default driver with Windows though, and the scrolling is so much better.  If only  I could disable the tap-to-click function, then I'd be satisfied.

10 Posts

June 12th, 2012 10:00

Well, still haven't found a solution, but I'm trying out a possible workaround.  I've uninstalled the Cypress drivers, so I'm using the default Windows 7 driver, so my vertical scrolling is close to being what I want, still no coasting, but at least it's not herky-jerky or delayed scrolling like with the Cypress driver.  Plus, having 2 points of contact with the touchpad and clicking the left mouse button no longer performs a right-click (I'm still amazed at how dumb that seems).  Still no way of disabling the tap-to-click "feature", but I've downloaded a utility called TouchFreeze, which disables mouseclicks while typing.  It's not ideal, but seems to work well enough so far.  Cypress really needs to get their act together.  Their driver is just terrible.  And I'm terribly disappointed with Dell for going with them.  The Synaptics pad and driver on my old Dell was far far superior.  Still want to know if there's a better solution though.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 22nd, 2012 10:00

Redbird19

Thanks for the update.  I am glad to read that the XPS 13 driver with a couple modifications helped out with the XPS 15z

TB

10 Posts

June 25th, 2012 19:00

Ahhh..I don't know what happened.  Everything was working great, but now all of a sudden the mouse cursor jumps around after lifting off the trackpad, rendering it almost unusable.  It didn't do it this morning, but I got home from work and suddenly it jumps around like crazy.  At first I thought it was dirty, like it had grease or something on it that registered as a click, but I've tried cleaning it, and no improvement.  I don't have tap-to-click enabled, but if I rapidly tap on it, the mouse will jump diagonally across the screen about an inch with each lift off the trackpad.  This is sooo frustrating!

1 Message

August 10th, 2012 00:00

I having all crazy cursor jumps and totally unusable 15Z, I had cursor jumps atleast twice to type this very point. Few months back  I had managed to disable most of Cypress trackpad functions to make it atleast usable.

Now the whole Cypress of  trackpad settings just vanished out the system. There was no uninstallation or configuration change, my CPU is all going grazy with mutigesture process hogging some CPU cycles.

1 Message

November 29th, 2012 14:00

I discovered the FREEWARE TouchFreeze and that has helped a lot.  The trackpad had me about to pull my hair out.

1 Message

January 10th, 2013 05:00

Also this thread issues a solution to this problem (sudden/random movements of cursor). Haven't tried it myself, just came cross these threads searching for another problem with the same trackpad. Please find solution written by user daov2a below:

"How I fixed the jerkiness issue (may not work for all)

1. Create a new user or enable administrator. Either should be fine.

2. Log in as that new user

3. Go to regedit: HKCU\Software\Cypress Trackpad

4. Export the Cypress Trackpad tree and save it to a location your other account can access

5. Login as your normal account

6. Merge the reg file you just saved

7. Reboot

8. For me, scrolling and all other functions were immediately fixed and very smooth"

2 Posts

January 22nd, 2014 05:00

it doesnt fixes the issue for me. i still have cypress trackpad not responsive properly issue, in my xps15z with win8.1

well i would like to know if install other trackpad software or drive will they work on xps15z, such as synaptics,  or twofingerscroll or apex 

or these

http://lifehacker.com/5943337/twofingerscroll-dramatically-improves-windows-touchpads

http://lifehacker.com/5493849/get-mac+like-scrolling-and-gestures-on-a-windows-laptop

No Events found!