Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2017 13:00

Plugged in, Not charging

I feel as if this is a pretty common issue, and it's a problem that I have unfortunately faced once before. The last time I took to these forums, I ended up replacing the battery, and that seemed to fix the issue, but here I am not even 5 months later, and this problem is already rearing it's ugly head again, apparently replacing the battery did not fix the root of this issue.

Just like last time, my computer will now only charge to a certain percentage (never 100) and will stop charging altogether, I'm at my wits end on how to deal with this issue, and replacing the battery seems like only a small-term solution, does anyone have any ideas?

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

February 6th, 2017 10:00

Hi XenomorphC,

Thanks for posting.

Your question is difficult to answer easily.  There are a lot of factors concerning battery life. First question would be where did you purchase the current battery?  Did you purchase it from Dell or another source? Was it new or used?  How long had it been sitting on the shelf prior to your purchasing?  Then a determination would need to be made regarding the usage. How long do you leave it on the adapter?  How long do you leave it off the adapter?  What type of programs are you running, what is the screen brightness set to?  

Here is some information about batteries you may find helpful:

http://dell.to/2lgZBJg

http://dell.to/2lh492m

13 Posts

February 16th, 2017 03:00

I didn't purchase the current battery, it was a replacement under warranty that Dell provided last time this issue happened, It was acquired from Dell, as far as I am aware it was new, and I have no knowledge of it's shelf life. I leave it on the adapter until it is 100% charged, then remove it, I leave it off the adapter until the light flashes on my laptop. The only programs I use regularly are Skype and my web browser. The screen brightness is 47.

13 Posts

March 12th, 2017 16:00

Still have yet to find a solution to this issue, and it's not a battery issue.

No Events found!