Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

R

1 Message

November 10th, 2008 16:00

Possible to upgrade a Dell Inspiron 8000 (2001 model)?

Hi guys,

First post in the community here, but been a dell user for 7 years now!

I still have my old Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop, purhcased in 2001, and use it for my uni work (I have better machines, but this is mobile so I carry it to classes and whatnot). However, im finding it rather slow these days, expected of 2001 specs, although its quite sturdy and reliable so I continue to use it.

These are the specs atm:
PIII 1Ghz Processsor (666Mhz)
256MB SD-RAM
32MB ATi-Rage Mobility Card
20GB HDD
8x DVDROM

I was wondering, if it was possible to upgrade this machine myself (I have the service manual) with today's parts, or am I relegated to the default specifications of the machine? Its a great laptop in terms of longevity, but wished I could get more out of it!

I also moved to Windows XP SP2 as I couldn't stand the default Windows ME install!

Thanks in advance,

R.

1.6K Posts

November 10th, 2008 16:00

You can upgrade the RAM and hard drive (to 512M and 120G max;  PATA only - no SATA), and perhaps add a CD or DVD writer, but the CPU is near the max and the video cannot be further upgraded.

549 Posts

November 10th, 2008 19:00

double post.

Came Lat post came up with error page, so didn't know it posted...

Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!

Either the site is offline or an unhandled error occurred. We apologize and have logged the error. Please try your request again or if you know who your site administrator is let them know too.

Please delete

549 Posts

November 10th, 2008 19:00

You may also be able to upgrade the video card.

Maybe up to the GeForce2Go from the i8100.

Not sure if it would be able to provide the power requirement to run the Geforce4Go440 though.

No Events found!