Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2012 17:00

Power light on laptop flashes red and laptop stops charging

Hello,

A month or so ago I posted a questio about my Dell Inspiron 1545 Windows 7 Laptop stop charging and the power light flashes red. I got an answer to shut down laptop, remove the battery and finish powering down. Then waiting a few minutes and place the battery back in place, I did this the first time and it worked but today I did this and it only worked for 5 minutes and started having issues again. I repeated the process for about an hour and still received the same results. I ran the diagnostics and it said that there were no hardware issues with my laptop, so i'm happy about that but i'm still left in the dark as to why this is happening. If it isn't my battery or other hardware what could it be? Could it somehow be my AC adaptor? A tech came to my house not even a year ago and gave me a new adaptor and i don't leave my laptop plugged in 24/7 and i don't use it everyday. Actually today was the first time I used my laptop since I had issues with it the last time, so that was about a month or so ago. I also notice that after a half an hour powered on the laptop and battery are very hot. If anyone has any suggestions that would be awesome.

Thank you,

Andrea B.

1.8K Posts

Hi Andrea,

Please check if you are getting any error message on screen. 

Try using an alternate ac adapter and see if it works. Another ste you can try is to drain the residual power of your computer and re-calibrate the battery by following the steps below:

• Power off your computer. 
  • Remove all the external peripherals  (printers, scanners or any other USB device) connected to your computer.
  • Please remove the AC adapter and battery of your computer. 
  • Press and hold the power button of your computer for 10-15 seconds to drain the residual power. 
  • Release the power button
  • Keep the battery out for atleast 2 - 3 hours.
  • Then insert the battery and charge it overnight with the system powered off.
  • Insert the battery in and connect the AC adaptor.
  • Then power on the computer and see if it works.

If the issue still persists, you can update the BIOS of your computer. 

Note: Make sure the ac adapter is connected and the battery is charged 10% or above to update the BIOS. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS. All the programs should be closed and documents saved. 

Link to download and update the BIOS: http://dell.to/TvRvL5 

Steps to download BIOS: 

• Click on “Download File”.
  • Select “For Single File Download via Browser”.
  • Click on “Download Now”.
  • Save the BIOS on your desktop.
  • Once the BIOS is downloaded on the desktop, right click on it and select “Run as administrator”.
  • Follow the prompts on screen and restart your computer. 

If the issue still persists, you can check the status of AC adapter and battery in BIOS following the steps below:

• To access the BIOS, we need to restart the computer.
  • As soon as you see the blue Dell logo start tapping the ‘F2’ key.
  • If you wait too long and the Microsoft Windows appears, then continue to wait until you see the Windows desktop. Now shutdown your computer and try again.
  • After this a new window will appear which is the BIOS. You can only use the arrow keys of the keyboard to navigate between the options as the mouse is not functional in this mode. 
  • Navigate to 'Battery Information' 
  • Check the status of AC adapter and battery.

Please reply with findings.

23 Posts

Thank you Chinmay :-) I will try this and let you know how it goes.

No Events found!