Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MS

October 6th, 2017 22:00

Power through USB-c on Dell Inspiron 15 7577 gaming laptop

The description for this computer states that the USB-C thunderbolt port is a “on cord solution” for data transfer, video transfer, and power. Imagine my surprise when I docked it and got an error message that the port doesn’t accept power and to plug in my power adapter. I am hoping this is a temporary issue that will be fixed with a bios update and not an issue of false advertising and poor utilization of a fantastic technology. Can someone from Dell advise if this will be fixed in a future bios update or if it’s infact a hardware design flaw?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 6th, 2017 23:00

Hopefully a Dell rep can confirm, but sadly, I think this is going to turn out to be incorrect marketing material and not a hardware bug that will be correctable with a BIOS update. There's no way something like that would still exist as a bug, but if the port isn't wired to allow charging the system, no BIOS update will fix that.

Looking at the product page for this system (screenshot immediately below), the text block above the system images mentions "Power Delivery", which typically does mean the ability to charge the system over USB-C (since systems typically don't provide large amounts of power to attached devices via USB Power Delivery), but the description of the USB-C port below the system image doesn't mention accepting power.  Compare that to the image of the XPS 15 (farther below), where Power In is explicitly stated.  This is also found on other systems that can charge over USB-C.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 6th, 2017 23:00

Ok, I think I see the issue.  The 7577 comes with a 180W AC adapter.  The USB-C spec only officially supports 100W.  Dell stretches that a bit to 130W with their WD15 and TB16 docks since some of their systems (like the XPS 15) require 130W, but I suspect they couldn't get 180W across a USB-C cable.  The Precision 7000 series systems have the same issue.  When they're connected to USB-C/TB3 docks, they ALSO have to be connected directly to their AC adapter because they too draw more power than the USB-C spec allows.  So this isn't poor utilization of a great technology; it's that the technology isn't quite great enough to meet the needs of your system.

1 Message

January 3rd, 2018 11:00

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? Is it simply an issue of the computer needing too much power? I am getting the same message and it isn't saying that it is too little power, but that the port doesn't accept power which is counter to what their marketing claims.

January 3rd, 2018 12:00

I believe he's talking about the same thing I saw in the pictures shown above in your post where it says "supports display port, power delivery, and ......"

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

What marketing claims are you seeing for the Inspiron 7577 that indicate that it accepts power over USB-C?  Looking at the product page right now, the specs list the following:

1 x Thunderbolt™ 3 Port (USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C™ with support for 40 Gbps Thunderbolt and DisplayPort)

By comparison, here is what the same area of the XPS 13's specs say:

1x Thunderbolt™ 3 (2 lanes of PCI Express Gen 3) supports: Power in / charging, PowerShare, Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps bi-directional), USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps), VGA, HDMI, Ethernet and USB-A via Dell Adapter

Farther down on the Inspiron 7577 page, there is indeed a note that says its USB-C port supports Power Delivery, but Power Delivery can run in either direction, and support for running in both directions is NOT mandatory -- so the Power Delivery claim could simply mean that it would support things like fast-charging USB devices that understand USB-PD, such as certain smartphones.

As an IT person I agree that it doesn't implicitly imply that it offers bi-directional power, as a consumer it's still misleading.  Most people would read that and believe that the port offers the ability to power the laptop as that whole bullet point is about eliminating extraneous cords.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

As I just posted above, Power Delivery does not imply bi-directional Power Delivery.  So while I can understand how it's confusing (a port like USB-C that has this many capabilities and OPTIONAL functions often is), but it's not technically wrong.

No Events found!