Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

October 1st, 2016 15:00

Precision 3510 I7 6700HQ CPU stuck at 0.78 Ghz

Hi all,

My problem with my recently purchased Precision 3510, is it's CPU seems to be stuck between 0.75 - 0.78 Ghz and doesn't exceed 30% in load. 
It doesn't matter if the laptop is charging or not, it will stay between 0.75 Ghz - 078 Ghz.
The power profile is configured on high performance and the power adapter is good.
I upgraded the BIOS to the latest version 1.9.4. (now i was really thinking to try a downgrade)
Did a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro (it came with 8.1 pro and the problem was there, and i thought upgrading to w10 will fix this problem). I also teted the CPU running a live distribution of Fedora, but all the cores were running the same speed.
I also tried to disable/enable with a reboot in between intel turboboos, c-states,intel speedstep.

The FAN is working, and the laptop doesn't get hot.
I also tried to drain the battery, to the point where the laptop wont turn on at all, no success.

I did all the tests on dell website, and dell epsa diagnostics (4300.24 validation121284) as well, al were passed and no issues detected.

The only time when it seems to reach it full capacity (and Im not talking about turbo up to 3,5 ghz) is when I boot the system in safe mode. But then it's stuck at 2.59 Ghz, and obviously the speedstep tech is not in use. 

What I noticed is that the multiplier is set to 8.

To be honest I have no idea what could be. I'm just super disappointed since I paid loads of money  for a "workstation replacement" and I can use it for...Ms Excel. This is my 3rd Dell laptop and my D630 which is 8 years old runs faster.

Any opinions are welcomed.

November 14th, 2016 00:00

Same issue with me on my Precision 5510 6820HQ, and Dell India is yet to respond on the issue even after a 3 hours of troubleshooting session.

I wish this gets sorted.

12 Posts

November 14th, 2016 01:00

Hi!

Well yes, but I had to write a few e-mails, to explain everything.

Before contacting them the official way I did all the tests, so I had everything ready: screenshots, updates, logs from tests.It took around a week to get everything sorted and the motherboard replaced.

Now everything's fine.

No Events found!