Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

March 7th, 2016 21:00

Precision 5510 - Troubleshooting

I've had my 5510 for all of 2 days now and just wanted to post the issues and fixes I've found. I should mention my IT department had to update the bios to fix a hard drive issue as they were trying to image the machine. When I got it, I went to dell's website and updated all drivers immediately (on March 5th, 2016). 

1) Touch Pad -  When using the touch pad, the cursor would randomly become unresponsive, pausing for 2-5 seconds. Updated to latest drive "Touchpad Driver, 19.0.15.2, A00"... no fix. Issue remains. I have discover that disabling the gestures has fixed the problem.

open mouse settings --> click on "Click to change Dell touch pad settings -->" go to "gestures" tab --> turn off gestures. 

Also, I had read a dell's notes that this issue occurs when the laptop is charging and that it was somehow related to the grounding of the cable. That is not the case for me... it happens with and without any type of charging.

2) - External Display Screen flickering - Two External monitors (u2417h) connected via DP using a WD15 dock via Thunderbolt connection. The flickering started after dell tech support had remote logged into my machine to fix a different issue. They installed NVIDIA drivers 361.91. This was the issue. I uninstalled them and restored them back to 10.18.13.5894_A03 (aka 358.94, the latest approved dell driver). Problem fixed.   Correction, this did not fix the problem Screens still flicker.

3) NOT 5510 specific - dual displays are cloning - Displaying on multiple monitors via daisy chained DP, requires the first monitor to have MST “multiple-stream transport” turned on in the monitor settings.

5 Posts

March 21st, 2016 20:00

Ok, so I've had my Dell Precision 5510 for 2 weeks now and still no solutions found for the display flickering. I've tried different display frequencies, I've tried only using one external monitor (with built-in closed), I've tried new cables... nothing seems to fix the flickering.

Adding issue:

4) This is already documented in another post, but I'm having the same issues...

" ... If the laptop lid is closed while connected to thunderbolt, the laptop will hang at the Dell bios screen.  If the lid is open while power turned on, the laptop boots up fine.  However, the BIOS screen is still not visible on the external monitors, only when the OS has loaded..."

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19677214

1 Message

March 24th, 2016 22:00

I too have had my Dell Precision 5510 for two days. I've also had the mouse issue and the flickering issue. From what I understand, this has to do with the refresh rate. The only options I have found so far are 59hz and 60hz, with the default being 60. Neither setting resolves it.

Please, someone who knows what they're doing, help us out. I can't work for long with a screen like this. A laptop this pricey should not have a screen that flickers. :-/ Thank you.

1 Message

May 25th, 2016 10:00

I am having similar issues, but not with external displays (yet, since the dock hasn't arrived.) Whenever I close the display (lid) and re-open it, the screen no longer works. I see random data across the screen. Turns out, if I let it sit for about 5 minutes, it comes back. Using the sleep/suspend options, before closing the lid, seems to not cause the issue. I am going to try to update the display driver.

No Events found!