Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2017 07:00

Precision M3520: Dell "Power Manager" limits CPU Multiplier once and forever independent of set mode (till restart)

Hi,

I have the following problem and searching for a solution. I have a Dell Precision M3520 with a Kaby Lake i7-7820HQ. I am using the "Dell Command Power Manager" v. 2.1.1 (latest available at the moment).

• When I start the Laptop and the power manager is set to  "Optimized" mode in Thermal Management everything is fine. CPU is using turbo boost like expected and reduces the frequency if nothing todo.
  • When switching to "Quiet", I suppose it is working like expected, because fan is much quiter, and CPU Multiplier is limited to 22x = 2195MHz
  • When switching now back to "optimized" or any other profile the fan is getting louder again, but the multiplier is still limited to 22x
    • Only way to get this fixed is to set mode to "optimized" and restart the laptop

Anyone an idea? or is this just a bug of the power manager?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 9th, 2017 08:00

Remove the 2.1.1 version, restart the laptop, install the 2.2.0 version, restart the laptop and retest.

2 Posts

March 13th, 2017 01:00

Hi Chris,

thanks for the answer. Did you like you suggested, but problem persists. Any further ideas?

thanks

Chris

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 13th, 2017 07:00

No. All we can do is hope other 3520 owners can replicate and post the issue to see if it is systemic to the model or if it is just your laptop.

No Events found!