Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2017 04:00

Precision M3800 booting

Hi,

I have a Precision M3800. Recently the laptop does not boot from battery. It boots only if the AC adapter is plugged in. After that it runs comfortably on the battery for 3.5 hours or so on full charge. Has someone experienced similar problems or can someone suggest a solution for this?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 3rd, 2017 08:00

:emotion-2:

I'm assuming windows 10 is on the system.....

I suspect the life cycle of the battery is coming to an end and it may be time to purchase a new genuine Dell battery.  

Laptop Battery FAQ | Dell US

EDIT:

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 3rd, 2017 08:00

However,

Just to be sure, check status of the battery health and AC adapter in the BIOS by following steps below.

Note: If the AC adapter isn't detected in BIOS, the system will continue to received power but will not charge the battery. Please follow steps below:

1. Power off system.

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F2 key continuously. You should be in the BIOS. The status of adapter usually is listed under the main screen or battery information.

The AC adapter should say adapter type, if it says Unknown or None, then it's a issue with the adapter, and most likely needs to replace with a Dell genuine adapter that fix the specification of the system.

Note: Wiggle the adapter's end while checking it in the BIOS

The battery health usually is listed under the Advanced tab or battery information. It should say Battery Is Performing Normally or Excellent. 

No Events found!