Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2015 13:00

Precision M3800 does not wake after sleep

- After closing the LID, system will get to sleep mode and cannot wake

Steps taken: Updated BIOS, Updated Video Card driver, reinstalled ACPI Driver, ePSA Diagnostic test passed.

Power Management > Advanced > Power Button and Lid > Lid close action > Set to sleep

Power Management > Advanced > Sleep > Wake Timers > both battery and AC Adapter are disabled

8 Posts

March 5th, 2015 13:00

Lee,

They are coming out tomorrow to replace the motherboard again.  We'll see then and I'll update.

Karl

March 16th, 2015 23:00

I have the same problem. I have dual-boot - Ubuntu and Windows 8. It started only 1 month ago or so. Given that the problem is on both windows and linux, I suspect it's a hardware issue. But I am loathe to be without my laptop for a few days, so any software solution would be great.

7 Posts

March 18th, 2015 04:00

I have the same problems. Occured after a motherboard replacement a few weeks back after a failed BIOS upgrade.

What BIOS version do you have on your Machines with this Power button issue?

7 Posts

March 19th, 2015 10:00

Got the motherboard and palm rest with the power button replaced today and now everything works again. It even wakes up when opening the lid. No software changes at all. So I don't believe in this being a powercfg issue in Windows.

14 Posts

March 19th, 2015 10:00

Reset Hiberfil.Sys
1. Click Start and type CMD or Command Prompt under "Search programs and files"
2. Right click on CMD or Command Prompt and select "Run As Administrator"
3. Type powercfg -h off and press enter.
4. Restart your computer.
This will disable hibernation and clear the hiberfil.sys file.
5. After reboot open another CMD or Command Prompt and run it as Administrator.
6. Please type Powercfg -h on and press enter.
7. Reboot the computer one more time in order for the changes to effect.
This will now create a fresh hiberfil.sys file.
Once you have completed the steps, please put your computer into sleep mode option and try to wake it up

Please reply if it works or not.

14 Posts

March 19th, 2015 13:00

Thank you Per Salmi.

Will be passing around this info.

8 Posts

March 23rd, 2015 10:00

2 motherboards, several hours tech support and now they are sending a new machine.

The M3800 went to pot when they installed some software O2 something or the other.  It won't even boot now.  It was sent to depot and they replaced the hard drive and OS and sent it back saying it was fixed, nonsense is what it is.  Its just sitting there waiting on its replacement.

I hope the new one works. 

Karl

2 Posts

March 23rd, 2015 10:00

same problem for me. they changed the motherboard, but it is still not working.

any idea? change a older version of graphic driver?

7 Posts

March 23rd, 2015 13:00

The changed both the motherboard AND the palm rest panel with the Power button. The new motherboard also has BIOS version A08. The previous board only had BIOS A07 which is a bit strange as I can not find the A08 BIOS on Dell Support Downloads.

2 Posts

March 23rd, 2015 13:00

i think i found a way to solve it, at least for my laptop.

power options - change plan settings - change advanced power settings - sleep - allow hybrid sleep

and turn on hybrid sleep.

I guess the power button has some problem to wake up system from sleep mode, but it works for hibernate mode, by turning on hybrid sleep, every time the system is set to sleep mode, it will actually set to hibernate mode. Then the system can be woke up.

It is more like a walk around

1 Message

March 29th, 2015 09:00

Started having the exact same problem about a month after receiving my Dell Precision M3800.  Very frustrating.  I do not use any external video cards.  I would appreciate any info from anyone who has found a working solution for this. 

1 Message

April 2nd, 2015 08:00

Same problem here! Is there any solution yet?

7 Posts

April 3rd, 2015 11:00

Yes, new motherboard and new palmrest with new powerbutton solved the problem for me and it did not reappear again.

9 Posts

April 4th, 2015 09:00

I have had a Dell M3800 since January 2014. I use it for high-end structural engineering MathCAD modeling as well as professional-level Photoshop image development. I should say "used it" because it is now virtually dead. I have never abused the unit, but it has traveled with me to several international locations and worked really well until the last trip in February.

While on a cruise through Antarctica in February, the M3800 decided it would not come out of hibernation. I have closed the lid many times, and it came right back to life when I opened the lid...but not that time.

I tried all combinations of power button pushes and lid openings to no avail. Finally, the unit started beeping...eight beeps followed by a pause then eight more beeps, etc. It stayed that way for four days while on the ship...keeping me from getting my work done.

When I got home, the M3800 suddenly decided to start working again. I was pleasantly surprised and assumed the failure had something to do with the ship...until it happened again four weeks later. This time it did not recover after sitting idle for a few days.

The unit was just one month out of the one year warranty when it started to fail, but I initiated repair through Dell anyway. To make a long story short, Dell initially misdiagnosed the problem as a system board failure. When their contract repairman came to my office and replaced the system board, the problem was still there. The repairman came back a few days later with a new LCD screen/cover. That fixed the blank screen and beeping, but the unit would no longer charge when plugged into a power outlet. The Dell repairman came back a third time to fix the charging problem and replaced the system board again. That fixed the charging issue, but one fan no longer worked. The one that did continue to work made way more noise than both fans made before this failure.

So, not being able to bring the unit out of sleep mode may be a precursor to other major issues...as I have experienced over the past three weeks. Beware of Dell repairmen bearing system boards.

2 Posts

April 13th, 2015 10:00

Glad this worked for you but My problem is different. Your solution is partially helpful since the computer comes back our of hibernation after the long power press as opposed to an unexpected shutdown. Interestingly, linux did this (Mint linux 17.1) be default with no option changes. I would gladly stay with Linux if I did not work for a large Windows shop.

I have the same issue using Linux, Win8 and Win7.

Computrack is not active.

I will be requesting a field service call.

No Events found!