Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2017 03:00

Precision M6600 won't turn on

I was working on my M6600 when suddenly there was a single flicker of the screen and the laptop crashed. There was no question of overheating because the only application running was Opera with only one tab open. When I tried to restart the laptop nothing happened. I mean really nothing. No indicator lights, no fan, nothing on the screen. What I've tried so far-

1. Try to run it on power adapter alone. The adapter is OK. The adapter indicator is glowing and on the power jack pins of the laptop the voltage reading is 19v.

2. Tried to run it on a fully charged battery alone.

3. Took out the adapter and the battery, kept the power button pressed for a minute and then tried to turn the laptop on on AC power. Repeated the procedure for battery power.

4. The ram modules are good and worked perfectly in another system. However, tried other ram modules just to be sure.

5. Cleared the cmos by taking out the button cell and leaving it out for 10 minutes.

This laptop has always been rock solid except that about two days before the fatal crash it had crashed when I was away from the laptop. The crash must have been instantaneous because there was nothing in the event log.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

5 Posts

August 14th, 2017 04:00

One thing more. Just after the crash, I noticed that the battery/power indicator blinked orange when I inserted the adapter, WITH and WITHOUT the battery. I didn't pay much attention to it then but according to Dell diagnostic LED manual, it seems to be related to battery/power issues.

Both the battery and the 130w adapter are OEM. The battery wear level was about 75% and the back up time was about 45 minutes with light use. At the time of the crash the laptop was powered by the adapter and the battery was nearly fully charged

5 Posts

August 14th, 2017 07:00

Thanks DELL-Robert P,

That's what I fear too. The battery voltage is good (11.2 v). When I connect the adapter it bumps up the battery voltage to 11.4 so I think that the adapter too is OK. As far as the power board is concerned, at least the button is functioning OK as I found out testing with a multimeter.

So, clutching at straws, is there in possibility it could be a malfunctioning lid switch? I mean if the lid switch is stuck (physically or electronically) in the lid closed position then the laptop won't start, would it?

If anybody could please help me in locating the lid switch on the system board, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

9.4K Posts

August 14th, 2017 07:00

Hi vasya1,

Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately from what you are describing, it appears the motherboard or a component on it has failed.  You can contact Dell Tech Support for further troubleshooting and possible repair, or if you're out of warranty, try and repair it yourself.  Parts may be available from Dell Spare Parts, parts-people.com, or Discount Electronics.

9.4K Posts

August 15th, 2017 04:00

I wouldn't suspect the lid switch with what you're describing, but it could be.  Perhaps one of the experts here will post and give some additional information.

5 Posts

August 15th, 2017 08:00

Thanks,

Yes, I know it's a long shot. My best guess is that it's the power distribution chip. But I'm trying to rule out simpler things first.

No Events found!