Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 1st, 2013 15:00

Precision M90 Hangs with blank screen

Hi,

My Precision M90 used to run just fine until now. While I am working, it just suddenly makes a weird noise through the speakers, screen goes blank and it hangs. One thing I have noticed is that the DVD R/W's light stays on. Nothing works and then finally i have to shut it down by pressing and holding the power button.

I ran dell's complete diagnostics and nothing came up. It passed everything and now i can't seem to understand whats wrong.

Does anyone have any idea about what's wrong?

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

November 2nd, 2013 05:00

Hi umarq,

Good you ran diagnostics and the system passed the test. Did you make any hardware or software changes? Are you experiencing system overheating issue?

Please clean the air vents with a can of compressed air and also click on the link below and follow the instruction to resolve the issue:

http://dell.to/1aBwp3J

Let me know the status after performing the above suggested steps.

6 Posts

November 4th, 2013 00:00

Thanks for you response. I cleaned air vents and the temperatures have improved a bit as follows;

Before cleaning: CPU 40-50 C ; GPU 50-65 C

After cleaning: CPU 35-45 C ; GPU 45-61 C

Also tried the mentioned link and ran Microsoft fixer. It just told me that a bunch of programs are running at startup which i can chose to stop. That's it.

After trying both the things the issue is still there. Anything else i can do?

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

November 4th, 2013 08:00

Hi umarq,

Thank you for trying the suggested steps. Please update BIOS and video drivers and that should resolve the issue. Click on the link below, enter the system service tag and click Submit. Select the Operating system from the drop down list to get drivers for your system model:

http://dell.to/14Xsnmd

Restart the system after each update and reply with the status.

6 Posts

November 4th, 2013 12:00

I followed the steps and found out that my BIOS and Video drivers are already updated. There was no update released after 2008.

Today, I turned on my computer and it hanged before booting, while on the start up screen with dell logo. If its hanging before it even starts to run windows, then doesn't it mean that its not a Windows issue and may be related to hardware?

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

November 7th, 2013 06:00

Hi umarq,

Please perform flee power, shut the system down, remove the battery and disconnect the ac adapter, press and hold the power button for 20 to 30 seconds. Now connect only the ac adapter and wait for 30 seconds and turn on the system. This will drain any residual charge in the capacitors.

Also reseat memory, HDD and CD/DVD driver and check. Please find the link below for the service manual:

http://bit.ly/17eDomc

In case the system gets stuck Dell logo even after reseating the above mentioned parts, I recommend you check with one memory in one slot. Try both the memory in both the slots.

Reply with the status.

6 Posts

November 14th, 2013 13:00

Here is what i have done;

• Performed power flee
  • Tried a different charger
  • Swapped memory modules with different ones
  • Removed every peripheral device one by one
  • Even swapped the processor with similar one from other notebook.

Nothing solved it.

It doesn't hang always but sometimes while i am working on it or when i am booting it up and then upon restarting it just doesn't make past the dell screen and hangs again. Only  thing that works is that when i boot it with power adapter removed, it boot fine usually and then when i reconnect the charger back, it hang again 50% of the times. I just have to keep trying until it starts.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

November 16th, 2013 06:00

Hi Umarq,

Thank you for trying all the suggested steps. The issue should have got resolved with a known good ac adapter or with BIOS and video driver update. Since the issue is persisting, I suspect the motherboard is faulty. Consider replacing the same.

6 Posts

November 17th, 2013 06:00

HI,

I disabled "Speedstep" from bios and it is running without hanging for 2 days. Does this mean motherboad  is going bad?

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

November 19th, 2013 08:00

Hi umarq,

The speed step feature enables the system to operate in multiple performance state. If it is disabled, the system will be placed in low performance state. You may continue using your computer with Speed step disabled. If the issue re occurs, reply to this post.

No Events found!