Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 4th, 2017 00:00

Precision M90, Windows 7, Bluetooth Driver

I have WiFi, Audio, and Video drivers. But I can't find the right Bluetooth driver. I went to support.dell.com. I know this laptop supports Bluetooth because I have a Bluetooth led light to the right of the WiFi. I have downloaded all the Bluetooth drivers, and they just say my system is not supported, or setup can't find the components required to install. I downloaded the drivers from support.dell.com, all of them, but I get no difference. I don't know what I have to do, I downloaded it from support.dell.com. It doesn't make sense. Links are below for proof

drive.google.com/.../view

"drive.google.com/.../view

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

December 2nd, 2017 12:00

Honestly it might be cheaper and easier to just get a Bluetooth USB adapter.  They make them as small as modern wireless mouse receivers, so they won't stick out much at all, and the M90 has plenty of USB ports.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 4th, 2017 09:00

Never mind, I see from your screenshots that you're trying Windows 7.  And since I owned an M90 a while ago, I just remembered a quirk about its Bluetooth.  It had some odd design where pressing Fn+F2 would turn off the Bluetooth in a way that not only disabled the radio but caused the device to disappear from Device Manager completely (even though it remained enabled at the BIOS level).  If you wiped the system while Bluetooth was in that state, then it would become impossible to install drivers for it because again, Device Manager wouldn't even show there WAS a Bluetooth device.  Dell had to release a utility that could re-enable it on systems in this state, and that's what I'm trying to find right now.

But in the meantime, check your Device Manager to see if you actually have any Bluetooth devices or even any Unknown devices with a yellow exclamation point.  If not, then this is probably your issue.  If you do have a device like that, then open its Properties, go to Details, then select "Hardware IDs" in the dropdown.  Post the 4-character VEN and DEV codes, which will identify which specific Bluetooth module you have.  When I go to support.dell.com for the M90 and choose Vista 64-bit (closest equivalent), I see drivers for the Bluetooth 350 and 360 modules, which are the only ones I remember ever being available, but if you've already tried both of those drivers, then checking the VEN and DEV tags might give a clue.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 4th, 2017 09:00

What operating system are you trying to run on it?  The M90 is about a decade old system at this point, so if you're trying to run a newer version of Windows, it's possible that official drivers for that OS were never released.  Have you tried Windows Update to see if it will push appropriate drivers?  It often does for older hardware.

1 Rookie

• 

37 Posts

December 2nd, 2017 10:00

It took forever for me to respond, I went to Device Manager, I don't see any unknown devices or devices that won't run. I even used DriverMax, I could found drivers but none of them were bluetooth. I might take this laptop to a DELL store or computer store to see if they can fix this.

1 Rookie

• 

37 Posts

December 4th, 2017 22:00

Someone gave me this laptop, I wouldn't know the price of this laptop and if it is expensive, this would have surprised me that bluetooth won't work. I will find the best adapter, thank you for your help jphughan.

No Events found!