Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2010 14:00

Precision m6500 Overheating issues, when fun starts cpu multiplier go down from 23 to 3, and does not retunr normal to 23 evan without anything loaded

It is a little hard to explain and search this kind of issue, becouse i've never experienced before, and all forum searches bring me to overclock multiplier and fsb problems, and this is not my case.

I've bought a dell m6500 covet, i7 820, 2gbx4 ram, quadro 3800m, 2x250gb hd. bios version 04, the last.

win 7 64 bit installed.

I've bought it to use with 3dsmax, so the first think i've done was installing and running it.

Just started a 70mb file, that is a quite simple file for 3dsmax, and it evan cannot have it loaded. After some test, i discovered that when the funs start, the cpu multiplier begin to go down from 23 to 3: i could close all the programs and have cpu sand gpu temperature near 40°, but funs don't stop, and multiplier stay to 3 for more than 10 minutes, until a reset the pc..

Here a deeply explanation that i've mailed to the one who sold me the notebook:

i've installed cpuz and speedfun to see what happens.

When pc startup it stay at 3000mhz (133x22/23fsb) and it is spectacular with cpu at 30/40 C°
When it start to load and cpu begin to go around 55/60 C° the fsb begin to go down, and I think it is normal, becouse I've found that when it finally succeded a render, it stay perfectly to 133x13 that is 1700mhz and it is the real speed of this cpu.
So, where is the problem?
the problem is that there is always a point breack where it goes to 133x3/4 and cpu is to 500/600mhz. this happens when it loads the file for a long time, or for instance if i stop a render and it has to return back to 3dsmax.
This happens also if cpu temperature seems to be always no more than 60/65 c°.
In this state 3dsmax cannot load anything, it continues to refresh its viewport one after the other and does not have the power to come back to user. After 10 minutes in this state, with cpu temp at no more than 50 C°, I reset 3dsmax and have the cpu turn back to 40 C° with no loading programs.
At this point you would expect the fun to stop and multiplier to turn to 22/23, but this not happens, even if you wait 10 minutes without moving the mouse. It continue to use the fun, and cpu is to 500/600mhz, instead of 3000.

And here there is another strange think. I closed the screen, and after some second the pc stopped, going in sleep mode. When I put back the screen, it started from sleep. Once I was in side win7, the fun stopped, and multiplier goes immediatelly to 23. I tasted it two time, and it always resetted the fun and multiplier to defoult after sleep. It is also to say that after the sleep mode, it seems that the multiplier does not seems to go anymore to 3/4, when cpu is stressed, it goes back since multiplier 13 and its native clock in full loading of 1700mhz, and in this state 3ds max can work with no problem, but onetime, after exiting from sleep, after 3 minutes it power off with no reason..

I've read here
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19247293.aspx?PageIndex=19

the same problem on many latitude notebook. Someone wrote in that thread that the problem was also on M series, but it was solved with a bios upgrade.

December 13th, 2010 12:00

You're not the only one.  It's rather impossible searching through the websites support pages to figure out model specific issues.

I purchased mine end of May and it worked alright until 2 weeks ago.  All of a sudden, Whenever in Maya I started experiencing sudden CPU consumption tho system idle was at 0%, and fans were going haywire - wouldn't even settle when closing the program down, only on restart.

For some time I thought perhaps it was a driver clash or issue so I rolled back to earlier graphics drivers, and even did a fresh drive/OS wipe and reinstall.

Turns out my CPU/GPU is overheating and averaging 80+C, which causes the CPU to shutdown to core speed of 133-500Mhz and x2-3 multiplier.

Dell's laptops are assembled pretty well, so from what I could disassemble and check, the fans didn't have much dust and the vents have always been cleaned/open - laptop always raised on hard surface.

As to what system config, it's a:

i7 720QM 1.60GHz

FX 2800m

4x1GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM Samsung

320GB SATA HDD

I run Maya 2011 mainly on this workstation with a 2nd monitor.

5 Posts

December 14th, 2010 04:00

The strange fact is that sometimes funs starts with no sense. You only hear the hard disk working, probably for somekind of windows 7 automatic upgrade, and the fans start at maximum with multiplier at minimum 2/4.

The guys who selled me the laptop in england, say that they have tested other 2 machines with differnt configuration, not only m6500, and have same problems in win7. They think it is a win7 64bit problem. Unfortunatly i've not the time to test an xp32 system.

Could you try it?

bye luca

December 14th, 2010 07:00

I don't have Win 7 32bit. running on a 64-bit platform too so I can't test it.  But I get the sense that it's to do with the last one or two windows NET framework updates.  Coz I do know that when I first wiped and reinstalled everything, the laptop was pretty stable for a day with the first 52 or so windows updates.  It was only until I started loading a few other programs in that the computer fans started going crazy.

It's ridiculous now, 5 renders in and my CPU hits 87C and powers down.  An engineer is coming to check it tomorrow and send it back to factory for repairs.

While you still have yours, I'd suggest uninstalling the latest windows updates (NET framework ones) and see how it goes.  That might help to isolate the issue.

I'll update this if DELL yields any results from the repair.

AK

1 Message

April 25th, 2011 10:00

I am having similar problems with my Dell Precision M6500 running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit edition.  Purchased the laptop April last year and it worked perfectly for about 9 months but the last few months I continually have the issue where the fans start to ramp up, make a lot of noise and the PC speed slows down to a crawl.

The only way I can combat it at this stage is to remove the power supply and run it on battery.  This normally keeps things under control until of course the battery runs out and I am forced to charge it up again.  Almost every time I have the power supply plugged in the machines start to play up after 20 minutes or so.  It is proving to be very frustrating and costing me hours of productivity every day.

Not happy considering I purchased one of the top of the line Dell mobile workstations and with upgrades cost well over $6K...

Andrew

April 26th, 2011 11:00

If it's the same issue I had, its due to the CPU/GPU heat sinks having been blown - thus the fan going haywire and PC slowing down.  I'd send it in for repair.  They said they've had similar problems before.

12 Posts

June 15th, 2011 14:00

having the same issue here (M6500,i7 920, 8GB, 128 SSD RAID0, 3800M) after reading this discussion, the first thing I'm going to do tomorrow, is call DELL (CZ) and ask for motherboard, CPU, GPU replacement?

2 Posts

June 27th, 2011 13:00

I have a dell m6500 as well and just recently started having the same issues. I verified the issue with the CPU-z app. All this time I thought the video card was acting up and the whole machine was taking a hit. Did anyone else have luck getting replacement parts or service?

2 Posts

June 27th, 2011 14:00

Talked to support. They are replacing my RAM. They say the Hynix brand is prone to be bad. I'll see if this helps any. Here is a link to thread discussing the issue with this RAM.

en.community.dell.com/.../19893901.aspx

I'll post back here with results.

5 Posts

June 28th, 2011 08:00

In my case it seems it was the fan that was not screwed right. Bytheway, when the laptop Turned at Home it begun to have pointer problems: after 5 minutes use, the mouse become uncontrollable with mousepad. Than, waiting someday in order to use this 4.000€ laptop,one morning it does not started anymore and it was found that the motherboard was broken. In my oPinion this workstation has too many problems, NeXT time i'll try an hp.

5 Posts

June 28th, 2011 08:00

Support told me that the cpu has a temp controller inside, if it reaches 80*celsius, the multiplier goes down to 3/5 and  it has to turn back to 35* before resetting multiplier to normal state. In my case it reached 39* and it Cannot turn to normal

July 16th, 2011 21:00

I had a similar problem. But in my case GPU overheated. I've spent a lot of time trying to find what is wrong. As far as GPU heats up to 70-75C everything becomes extreamely slow and mouse may become not responsible. It's also interesting that if you use an external monitor GPU doesn't slow down if it doesn't work and overheats faster.

I talked to Dell support (I have many many bad words about them) but they have replaced the GPU and problem was fixed... for 5 months. Than I've got the same problem... and they have replaced GPU again. And finally... I'm waiting for a support chat to ask them to replace the third one because I've got the same problem when I run an application which uses GPU... I'm extreamely not happy about the 4k$ laptop...

July 16th, 2011 22:00

Forgoten to say that motherboard were replaced also the second time. (and keyboard was broken by a service guy but it's another story...)

4 Posts

September 26th, 2011 14:00

Hi, I'm a bit late to the battle on this one but I've just been seeing similar issues on my Dell Precision M6500.

Over heating, slowing down.

I've wedged a couple of pencil rubbers under the back of the laptop to give about 10mm clearance on the intake vents.

Temperature's dropped right down from 75-80 to under 50.

I'm not using a docking station, and I think that might give the same clearance, but I really think it needs a better height to get the airflow.

Hope that helps someone who comes after.

October 30th, 2011 01:00

Hello all,

My company has purchased 3 M6500 laptops. One of them has a Quadro FX3800M, the 2 others have FX2800M.

We have the exact same problem on the 3 laptops: overheating if GPU is working intensively for 3 or 4 minutes, slowing down,... laptop becomes unusable.

On the 3 laptops, Dell told us it was a QuadroFX problem, changed the GPU. Then it was a mother board problem. Change it. Then the FANs...

NOTHING ever changed. Problem is still happening and easilly reproduced.

Since this issue is happening on our 3 laptops and continues even after maintenance / reinstallation, it definitly looks like a a serious design issue on M6500 ...

4 Posts

October 30th, 2011 04:00

If you look at the docking station for the M6500 then it achieves exactly the same as I've done with my pencil rubbers.

you end up with about a centimetre clearance under the intake fans. I wonder if they haven't always tested on a docking station or something bizarre like that! One things for sure, you couldn't use it as a "lap" top because your knees would block the air intakes...

Coincidentally, my company bought three at the same time and mine is the only one which is exhibiting the over-heating problem. the other two run hot but not in the red. Since I've boosted the clearance mine is fine too.

No Events found!