Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 13th, 2016 10:00

Precission 5510 Ubuntu screen tearing

Hi,

I have been trying to get my graphics to work for the past 2 days and I am not really sure how/where to continue. I will start by posting (as much) of my configuration as I know how to find   

I bought a new Dell Precission 5510, with this setup: (Note: Dell sells these laptops as ubuntu ready)

Code:
artur@pandaadb:~$ lspci -k | grep -EA2 'VGA|3D'
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Skylake Integrated Graphics (rev 06)
	DeviceName:  Onboard IGD
	Subsystem: Dell Skylake Integrated Graphics
--
01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107GLM [Quadro M1000M] (rev ff)
	Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau, nvidia_361
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 8260 (rev 3a)

artur@pandaadb:~$ uname -a
Linux pandaadb 4.4.0-22-generic #40-Ubuntu SMP Thu May 12 22:03:46 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I installed the Additional Drivers with this version of NVIDIA: 
V 361.42 from nvidia-361 (proprietary, tested) 

The other card runs on: 
"Using Processor microcode firmware for Intel CPUs from intel microcode (proprietary)" - Note, I am not sure what this means. 

Maybe the lshw output gives some more information: 

Code:
artur@pandaadb:~$ sudo lshw -numeric -C display
  *-display               
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: Intel Corporation [8086:191B]
       vendor: Intel Corporation [8086]
       physical id: 2
       bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
       version: 06
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=i915_bpo latency=0
       resources: irq:126 memory:db000000-dbffffff memory:70000000-7fffffff ioport:f000(size=64

Now I managed to install the nvidia drivers by following the tutorials. I had to disable Secure Boot (NVIDIA setup actually prompts for that), for I was stuck in the log-in loop. The nvidia settings showed up correct (in the control center). I set it to Performant mode and started working when I noticed a few things.

* Laggy screens. When scrolling or switching between windows, the screen would have weird pixeling, it would lag behind, the words would overlap. Sadly this goes away quite quickly so I can't take a screenshot to demonstrate. I hope the description is okay.
* Terminal is lagging behind. Even a few ll commands would force the screen to its knees. 
* Typing in the browser, sometimes the typing would lag about 1-2 letters behind. 
* Streaming netflix would appear laggy and have picture problems (same with youtube) 

I started researching and I ended up finding a lot of people saying they install CompizConfig Manager and enable a workaround to force redraws. I did the same and installed it, and there was no change. 

Now here's the kicker though. I got desperate and was not sure what else to do, so I went to the NVIDIA settings and enable the power-safe-mode. (I believe that is why it only shows 1 graphics card for the lshw output). This fixed it (mostly, as I believe my mouse is a bit slow, but then again I've been chasing this for so long that this could be a red herring/a **** mouse/me being tired). 

But: My terminal now works fine, my netflix/youtube has no issues/ my scrolling is fixed.

Now the question is: Is that the correct thing to do? I seem to have this quite good nvidia chip in my laptop and I would like to use it. Now it seems I simply disabled it and it seems to work. 

Other info:

* I manually installed the NVIDIA driver using the purge + reinstall method that I have found multiple times online
* I never installed any other drivers (for the intel graphics). 
* Orriginally the additional drivers where not using the options that I am using now. I had 2 options on each, I chose the others (saying the non default) 

Please let me know if you need any more info - I am very happy to support and help as much as I can. I have *some* experience using ubuntu, however I have rather little with regards to hardware config. 

Thanks! 

Artur

No Responses!
No Events found!