Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

January 15th, 2004 11:00

Printer Port Error Message when Undocking Inspiron 8200

Inspiron 8200//P4/ 1.9Mhz//640 Mb//BIOS A0O10/ XP Pro SP1 plus updates//Dell APR

When I try to undock using the button in the APR or the Windows undock command, after a couple of seconds I get a message. "You cannot eject your computer because one of the devices in the docking station "ECP Printer Port(LPT1) cannot be stopped because a programme is still accessing it". I do not use the parallel port in the dock at all & receive the same message when nothing apart from the power cord is attached to the APR and no applications are open.

I have tried changing the BIOS options for LPT options from ECP to normal & the options in Device Manager for the ECP Printer Port for port settings & enabling legacy plug & play but still receive the same message.

I fid find the solution to a very similar problem for Windows 2000 & Port COM1 in the Windows Knowledge Base. The cause was to do with timing & sequencing as the PC goes into standby but the solution was an upcoming Windows 2000 update. I can find no other close refence to this problem so I suspect either something to do with the set-up of the hardware profile, a conflict with a program open in the background or a hardware fault.

Is it worth deleting the docked profile & re-docking to recreate or else working through the background programs open in Task Manager to see if any of these are the cause?

I've had this problem since I purchased the PC about 18 months ago . I finally found an unsatisfactory work-around yesterday which was to disable the ECP printer port in Device Manager.

4 Posts

February 16th, 2004 16:00

Hi,

I'm wondering if you've ever found a solution to your docking problem.  I have the exact same problem with my Latitude D600.  If you delete the current hardware profile the problem will go away, but it will return someday.  Also, disabling the printer port in the hardware profile does not alleviate the problem for me, either.  Your article was the first I've seen mentioned of the problem, and Dell tech support is as horrible as it always is (please send me another form letter, Dell, as if I didn't know!). 

3 Posts

February 18th, 2004 17:00

I am no further forward with this problem & have no ideas to try. The workaround of disabling the ECP port has worked reliably & since I don't currently connect  anything to the parallel port (I use a LAN or WiFi to access printers) this is not a problem at the moment.

I havn't tried deleting the hardware profile - I might try this.

I intend to post this problem on the Windows site which probably attracts a different audience in case this throws up anything - I am curious that no one else has reported this problem - that suggests to me that the source might be a hardware quality issue with the docking station?.

February 22nd, 2004 02:00

I am also having the same problem with my D600. Fresh windows XP Pro install. Can't undock. It has never done this before, and disabling the LPT port doesn't work.

1 Message

March 3rd, 2004 11:00

Aagh!  This same thing started happening to my D600 yesterday.  Prior to that I had no issues with undocking.  There has to be a way to find the offending program and shut it down.  Anyone know of a way to list the resources used by running programs?

4 Posts

March 3rd, 2004 15:00

Not sure if it would matter much.  I've tried killing off every single non-critical process only to have Windows still tell me that something is using the printer port.  Perhaps it is actually a system process that is doing something?  I don't know, but as of yet I still cannot determine a pattern as to when this problem crops up (i.e. what processes are running, what devices are connected, how the planets are aligned, etc.)

Still searching... will certainly let y'all know if I find anything...

-m

1 Message

June 15th, 2004 02:00

Anyone have luck resolving this? I just got a port replicator for my Inspiron 8600 and I've had this problem since I started using it a few days ago. Very annoying. Running windows xp here

4 Posts

June 15th, 2004 18:00

Sadly, I've still not solved the problem, however for some reason it hasn't been creeping up as much lately. I can't think of anything I'm doing differently. The only pattern I can discern is that it usually happens when I'm running late and need to undock IMMEDIATELY...

• 

25.1K Posts

June 22nd, 2020 10:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

No Events found!