Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

11 Posts

September 12th, 2004 22:00

Printer already has this Name

I want to install another printer to my Inspiron with Win98SE.  When I get to the last step it says "Another printer already has this name.  Use a different name."  It does this with any printer on the list or with a printer I try to install with downloaded drivers.  It does it with every program except SYSTRAY and EXPLORER closed.  It does it whether I chose network or local printer.  Printers I had installed successfully, but many months ago are Diskette IIIP, HP Laserjet IIIP, HP OfficeJet Fax, HP OfficeJet Printer, and WinFax.  I don't know if these printers still work because they are several hundred miles from my laptop.   If I try to install from the printer CD or downloaded installation program it goes as far as "Now the printer will be installed to your system.  Please wait." but never finishes.

14.4K Posts

September 13th, 2004 08:00

Suggest you try removing the software drivers for the previous printer before attempting to install software for the new one.

11 Posts

September 14th, 2004 00:00

If I remove all the other drivers and that doesn't fix the problem, then I can't use any printers when I move back to the state where I left my other printers.  I would rather do without a printer for a few months here than have no printer when I go back.

14.4K Posts

September 14th, 2004 06:00

Okay but do you not still have the software CDs for the printers you have in the other state?
It's an easy enough job to just reinstall the relevant software using those CDs.

11 Posts

September 15th, 2004 00:00

I have the software but if the computer problem is not fixed by removing drivers, then I can't install any printers.

11 Posts

September 19th, 2004 14:00

I ended up using the driver for the new printer on one of the already installed printers.  Now I have other problems, which I will post separately, but there is some communication with the printer.
No Events found!