Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 1st, 2012 20:00

Problem with Dell Inspiron 1440 usb ports

I have a Dell Inspiron 1440 laptop and the usb ports are not working at all. I have put several jump drives into the usb ports and it will make a sound like it has recogonized it, and it will install it but it will not show up on the computer. When I go to device manager, it says there is a usb mass storage device and it says all the usb's are working properly, but it is not showing up for me to use. Any ideas on how to fix this?

4.4K Posts

April 1st, 2012 22:00

Hi SammyLaizer,

Welcome to the Community,

Does any other USB device (USB mouse or keyboard or MP3 player) work on  your system? Have you tried all the USB ports on the system?

Since you've mentioned it makes a sound like it has recognized the jump drive, try the below steps and see if it helps:

1.    Right-click on My Computer and choose Manage

2.    Click on Disk Management

3.    Right-click on your USB drive and select "Change drive letter and paths"

4.    Reinsert the USB flash disk to the computer, and see if it works?

Hope this helps,

Thank You

Roshan.

April 1st, 2012 23:00

I tried that and it told me:

The operation failed to complete because the disk management console is not up to date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists, close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk management, or restart the computer.

I tried refreshing it, and it told me the same error message again. I tried restarting it, and same thing. And finally I tried restarting the computer, and still nothing.

April 2nd, 2012 00:00

I finally got it working again. Apparently, all I needed to do was update the intel driver. I found the driver on dell.com and then restarted the computer, and it finally popped up on the screen. YES! Victory.

4.4K Posts

April 2nd, 2012 01:00

Glad you got it working.

Roshan.

No Events found!