Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 17th, 2014 08:00

Problem with Inspiron 910 upgrading hard drive.

Hi Everyone!

I was giving a presumed dead Inspiron 910.  I purchased a new a/c adapter and after letting it charge, it booted right up and holds a charge wonderfully.  It is running Windows XP on its 8 GB SSD.  I purchased a 64 GB SSD and installed it along with a 2 GB ram stick.

When I power it up, the power LED lights up for 3 seconds and then goes dark.  No splash screen, no POST, no BIOS, nothing.  I put the original 8 GB drive back in and it boots right up.  Put back the 64 GB and get the same thing.  Power LED for 3 seconds and then it goes dark.  I did some research and found reference to the 910 not supporting a 64 GB SSD but that several people have them running with 32 GB drives.  I returned the 64 and ordered the 32 GB drive.

I installed the 32 and it does exactly the same thing.  I put the 8 GB drive back in and it boots right up.  I have tried pulling the battery and powering up off the a/c adapter only and it has no effect.

Does anyone have any ideas?  I have seen online that others are running the 910 with 32 GB SSD.  Any information, suggestions, or ideas will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you all in advance e and have a great day!

Respectfully,

George D.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 17th, 2014 09:00

What model SSD did you purchase?  Although these look superficially like the now common mSATA SSDs, they're not mSATA - they are parallel ATA SSDs.  Only that type of SSD will work.

You need a drive like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Kingspec-64GB-PATA-miniPCIE-Vostro/dp/B008KWD0Z2

NOT this:

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-SSDNow-Internal-SMS100S2-64G/dp/B0062CHMZG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1405611298&sr=1-1&keywords=64G+msata+ssd

14 Posts

July 17th, 2014 10:00

I purchased the mSATA.  :emotion-6:  Looks like another drive is going back to Amazon.  Will the 910 support 64 GB hard drive?  Thank you so much for the information.  It is greatly appreciated!

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 17th, 2014 12:00

Supposedly it will -- but your choices in parallel ATA mini-PCIe cards are very limited.  These devices were never all that popular and aren't widely used.

No Events found!