Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2012 23:00

Problem with motherboard - dell inspiron 1501

Hello,

I am having problem with making the optical drive from an inspiron 1501 to work.
The problem is like this:

1. when entering bios the optical drive isn't recognized corectly, it shows some wierd characters like _ ( lvl ) _zm etc.
2. in windows it's not present anywere, tried updating drivers, tried updating/downgrading the bios - no succes.
3. i've also tried the optical drive ( it is an HL-DT-ST GCC 4244N ) on another laptop and it works just fine.
4. tried putting another optical drive in the 1501 but still not recognized corectly.
5. i've opened the laptop and took a look at the connector on the motherboard but couldn't found anything wrong with it, it's firmly in place.

I REALLY NEED HELP with this because it's driving me nuts. I don't know what else to do or try.
Any advice is really, really appreciated.

Thanks,

3.8K Posts

February 8th, 2012 01:00

Hi Charmyz,

Welcome to the Community. This looks like a motherboard failure. Contact Dell Technical Support in your region for a replacement.

Thank you

Royan

2 Posts

February 8th, 2012 02:00

Hi,

Thank you very much !

I've contacted them, but instead of replacing it I could go out and buy a new one, the prices are huge !

I was wondering if someone could tell me where to look in the motherboard, what part of it is handling the optical drive, maybe then I could replace just a chip, or connection input, something like that.

I have medium electronic knowledge so I could give it a try if I could knew where to start on.

Thanks,

No Events found!