Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

January 15th, 2006 04:00

Problem with resolution on attached external LCD

Hi,

Im running a Latitude D810 and am trying to run it with the laptop LCD, and an external monitor. My problem is that I cannot get the resolution on the external to be what I want it to be. Everything is appearing way too big, where everything on the laptop LCD is coming much smaller (where I want it). The native resolution of my external is 1280x1024. I have my laptop LCD at 1680x1050. Currently, both are set to this.

I've tried messing with all the settings I could possibly think of, but no matter what I try neither of the monitors come out right. When I plug in my inspiron (with a much smaller screen than this Latitude), the external monitor works perfectly - plug and play. I have a feeling my problem has something to do with the wide aspect ratio or the insane resolution on this laptop LCD, but have no idea.

can anyone please help!!!

Nick

January 22nd, 2006 03:00

I had the exact problem with the same resolutions and sent many messages to Dell Online Support before I received an answer that I kind of understand.  I could get the resolution I wanted when using thw D810 with the LCD alone: or the external Dell 21" CRT alone.  But when I chose to have the screen image displayed on both screens the resolution was lower than what the external monitor was capable of displaying.

Dell says that when displaying on boith monitors, the systrem finds the the highest common resolution and it also considers the aspect ratio.  That is why I ended up with such a low resolution.  I finally set my systrem up to 1280 x 1024 with a DPI of 96 (Normal fonts).  This displays characters in size that is easy on my eyes, but they are stretched out to fill the wide LCD screen.  I prefer that to the lower resolution the system chooses on it's own in order to avoid distortion.

If you want to see what happens when you let the D810 choose the resolution, just toggle thought the three display modes using the Fn+F8 keys.

Mel 

No Events found!