Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

H

1 Message

April 14th, 2007 00:00

Problem with the hinges on my laptop

I have a Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop, I bought it back in 2002, so it is kind of old, but it still works very well. However, the screen on the laptop no longer stays up, the hinges that connect the screen to the base are too loose, it won't stay up at all so when I use it I have to prop the screen up against something. I've looked at it, but I don't know if there is a way to make the hinges tight again. Has this ever happened to anyone else and if it has, how did you fix it?

212 Posts

April 16th, 2007 14:00

There should be screws on the back (and maybe bottom too) holding the hinges to the body of the laptop. If they're all tight and it's still loose then I don't know if the hinges can be fixed and will probably have to be replaced. I had to replace mine on my Inspiron 4000 when they broke. You might have to buy the whole upper case part (ie. the plastic casing for the LCD) to get the hinges if they don't sell the hinges separately, you can get it from Dell spare parts.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

April 16th, 2007 17:00

The hinges are sold separately, and can be inexpensively replaced. www.parts-people.com Dell Spare Parts 1-800-449-3355 ext 7269937

1 Message

March 24th, 2008 23:00

I have a Dell Latitude C400. It is not exactly the same as the Inspron 2650 but I had the same problem. My Computer Screen was loose and if I were sitting at a chair and I moved the computer forward of back, it would slam shut. I couldn't get any help so I tried to fix it even though "it couldn't be fixed". I messed around with it and I eventually was able to tighten it. My computer works fine now. It wasn't easy and you have to be extremely careful what you do. Here is what I did: First I took off the LCD panel Frame around the screen. On my computer, the screws were at the top. I then had to snap of the rest of the frame (not easy to do) all the rest of the way around. At the bottom of the screen where the screen connects with the computer, there is a small black hinge. On the hinge, there are two tiny screws. Those are the screws that tighten the screen. There is also a screw on the bottom (or maybe on the side on your computer). That screw also tightens the hinge.

Hope that helps! :smileyhappy:

No Events found!