Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 16th, 2011 14:00

Problems Burning CDs on Inspiron 5010 Laptop

When music CD burn is attempted, 80% of the time it aborts after 15% completed, and 20% of the time the CD appears to be completed but will not play on CD player. When explored with Windows Explorer the files are present and can be played on my PC but when I attempt to play on my CD player, there are no tracks except one and nothing plays back. I’ve tried to burn with three different media applications, (Win Media Player, Roxio, CDBurnerXP) with the same result; 2 dozen disks ruined. I’ve checked the music files and they are not protected.

When I checked my CDROM it is working properly and drivers up to date. I’ve set the burn speed at its slowest without any change.

Inspiron N5010 Win7 64bit purchased 6 months ago.

HL-DT-ST DVDRWBD CT30N (Standard CD-ROM drives)

Any help would be appreciated.

Peter

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

May 16th, 2011 17:00

I suppose it is always possible that the blank discs you have are junk.

Go to the store and buy the Sony Music CD-R. These are the ones made in Japan and are excellent quality. Burn a Data CD using Roxio.

If you still have problems, then your drive can be bad.

Since it is a brand new computer, F12 at boot up and run Dell Diagnostics on the drive.

21 Posts

May 16th, 2011 19:00

I’ve been using Sony CD-R 80min CDs.

Everything passed on the Dell Diagnostics of the DVD/CD drive.

All of the sudden it works! The difference was that this time a window came up and gave me the option to close or leave open the CD. This step was missing all the previous times that it didn’t burn as expected.  

Well, I’m not sure what I did but you can’t argue with success;o)

Thanks for your impute.

Peter

No Events found!