Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2010 22:00

Problems with Alps touchpad on Inspiron 1545

Ever since I got my new laptop in early december, this problem has been slowly getting worse. The Alps touchpad has been becoming progressively less responsive. Lately it takes up to an inch of movement before the cursor moves. Looking at the tray icon verifies that it doesn't sense the touch until the cursor moves. I even have the touch pressure set to the lightest setting so it will pick up the slightest movements.

An external wireless mouse works flawlessly. I have updated to the newest drivers on the dell support site, but it made no difference.

Is my touchpad defective, or is this just how the alps model acts? I had a Synaptics on my old C610 and it worked perfectly with no complaints. Considering I spent $589 on this laptop with upgraded video, the performance of this touchpad is unacceptable.

Also, on another note, I tried to use the Dell System profiler under the Technical Support section but it fails with "error determining system information" I even tried in IE and it would not install the activex control which popped up. It simply refreshes the page and fails to work.

24 Posts

January 26th, 2010 06:00

Unfortunately if you search around the Net you will find many users complaining about Alps Touchpads. HP,Dell, Toshiba,Acer. They all must have got a great deal on them. I have always bought laptops with Synaptics Touchpads on them. Now I guess Alps is trying to gain market share. I have tried different drivers and even turned off Tapping which does help,but it also reduces its function so its not really a solution. Dell system pro filer might need a update and your browser security might be restricting it. I know you spent $589 but the Inspiron  ls a bottom end model and like most manufactures they tend to cut corners with suppliers hence the lousy touchpad. I have a Studio 1537 with plenty of issues that was $200 more then yours with a Alps Touchpad. If you are not happy and you are still within warranty call and complain. These companies need to be aware of poor quality hardware.

1 Message

February 20th, 2010 13:00

Hi, ive had my dell inspiron 1545  since late november, it was first used on christmas day, and its now feburary and i just booted it up and all the buttons appeared to have been selected and the touchpad was not responding and was all the way to the left of the page. i was wondering, is this a problem with the alps touchpad? if anyone can help, that'd be great. as of right now its fine.

No Events found!