Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 10th, 2016 23:00

Problems with Dell USB-C (DA200) to HDMI/VGA/RJ45/USB3 adapter

Hi all,

I guess I am kind of desperate at 1:45 am haha...

I just got my XPS 13 9350 and it is awesome. I ordered the DA200 USB-C to USB3/RJ45/VGA/HDMI adpater. Unfortunately I am experiencing a few problems with the device. They are listed below:

1) plugging in, computer does not recognize the device. If I right-click and uninstall in Device Manager and do a "scan for new hardware", it works again - but not for long.

2) The device and the Realtek gigabit portion connect and reconnect every second in device manager and that is annoying.

3) Disabling the wireless card/connection seems to actually help the device connect and it works at 100%. ONLY when the wireless card is disconnected.

Basically, windows is having a real hard time keeping this adapter connected...almost like it can't recognize it. I tried installing the device drivers for the adapter - nothing. I updated all the thunderbolt firmware from Dell (including chipset) and the BIOS...nothing. Same thing. If you do a google search, there are a few threads on this exact problem. There is a nice sized one on Reddit.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? It is a real shame a beautifully designed and pricey adapter is not working with a Dell computer.

Thanks, AJ

18 Posts

July 4th, 2016 08:00

Thanks for that link. I had no idea you posted the same fix. I also searched for keywords and nothing. I spent 2 hours with tech support and they gave me this fix. I was thrilled and decided to share with with the community.

First off, I'm not looking to "steal" anyone's thunder. I was just sharing the material that was given to me. You want the credit? You can have it. No sweat off my back. I'm just glad there is a double post with the fix so everyone who is having trouble can find it. Since this is turning into something childish, I'll let this go.

-AJ

44 Posts

July 8th, 2016 19:00

To follow up on my Bluetooth & WiFi issue - I changed the channel of my router's 2.4GHz band to channel 1 and it seems to have cleared up the problem (it was 11).  I experimented with 5GHz but the placement of my router is such that I don't get good coverage with that band so I wanted to stick with 2.4GHz.

44 Posts

July 9th, 2016 20:00

Another follow-up - this "fix" of changing channels worked only for a short while and I'm back to disabling Bluetooth to prevent interference with WiFi.

18 Posts

July 10th, 2016 09:00

I usually don't use Bluetooth so I haven't noticed the "fix" being temporary. I find Bluetooth to be unreliable. I would just wait for Intel to put out a new driver. Thanks sparks.

44 Posts

July 10th, 2016 10:00

It's frustrating as this is the only device I have (many) where Bluetooth is unusable and I'm unable to use my Bluetooth mouse and headphones with it as a result.  For a high-end laptop that has been out there for some time, still having a major service like Bluetooth being unusable is absurd.

3 Posts

August 31st, 2016 15:00

UPDATE 8/31/2016.  We gave up on the DA200 and bought the POWERED USB 3 HUB.  D3100.  It has been rock steady with every port occupied (except only 1 external display).  

When you have to fool around with power settings to get an accessory to work, it means only one thing - the accessory isn't being provided with enough power.

11 Posts

September 1st, 2016 07:00

My Experience with the DA200: The only way I was able to get it to work reliably was to decrease the WIFI Power Output setting to 50%. Even at 75% it would continuously lose connection to all the ports(USB,ethernet and monitor). If I had Device Manager open, you can see the devices appear then disappear over and over again until it gave up and as someone else mentioned, the nasty plug and play sound as it connects and disconnects.

I still have a ticket open with Dell with no solution and they have been by to replace both the motherboard and WIFI card(same Broadcom as original). Told them that they should source an Intel AC-7260, 7265, 8260 card as I seen in other posts people had success in resolving with that card. 

Anyway, that's just my experience so far. Will see what Dell engineering comes up with next. It's been almost two months since I opened that call. All drivers up to date as of August 31. Luckily for me, leaving it at 50% works 100% of the time.

1 Message

October 6th, 2016 17:00

Has anyone experienced the same problem in linux? I just bought a xps 13 with the adaptor and it does not connect to the screen at all.

December 5th, 2016 14:00

Greetings. I have a chuwi H10 Plus and I bought a Dell DA200 adapter USB-C to HDMI / VGA / Ethernet / USB 3.0 but it is giving me an error on the HDMI / VGA part ... it tells me that the display port does not work. There is some way or some Driver that I can download that allows Windows to recognize the display port HDMI/VGA. the tablet only  recognises the LAN and the USB port. Thanks for the help

No Events found!