Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 25th, 2013 06:00

Processor upgrade blues.. need some help.

I purchased a AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60 ( TMDTL60HAX5DM ) for my wife's Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop. First processor was bad, so I had another one sent to me.  I installed the second core and it worked for all of 1 minute.

After I reseat the core, it will load up into Windows Vista. After I would say about 1 minute into running, the power cuts out. When I try to power up the laptop again, power light goes green for a second and then shuts down again.

My first guess it's some kind of power related issue that causes a processor shut down for it's safety. Yet as I google this problem, most people aren't having a problem with this processor for this laptop. So I don't get what is going wrong here.

Thanks.

5 Posts

March 25th, 2013 07:00

As for "improper installation" could you tell me where I would have gone wrong?

I used Youtube for guidance on the installation. All it came down to was;

-carefully remove heatsink following 1-4 screw pattern

-cleaning off old thermal compound (both CPU/GPU)

-unlock processor

-remove processor

-clean off old thermal compound off heatsink

-seat the new processor

-lock it

-use new thermal compound lightly on both CPU/GPU

-spread it evenly

-carefully place heat sink back into place

-carefully screw down the heat sink following pattern

reassemble laptop. I disassembled and reassembled this laptop so many times I can do it in my sleep. I am currently on it with the old Sempron processor till I can find an answer. Please, what did I miss?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Most obvious problem is improper installation the processor overheats and it shuts down.:emotion-3:

5 Posts

yeah, it has BIOS 2.6.3 which is the highest version for this model.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Is the system's BIOS up to date?

78 Posts

March 27th, 2013 14:00

I'd say it's got to be the processor, then again you could be having one of those weird motherboard issues.

I have a Latitude D610 here that only works with the factory Hynix RAM stick in DIMM A, weird huh?

5 Posts

March 27th, 2013 21:00

Yeah. that is weird.

I thought I did all the research and it would be an easy and affordable upgrade. Yet I have to agree with the others, it's overheating somehow. It gets into windows and barely using the full power of the processor it gives out. Fun part is that Dell locks me out of the BIOS so I can't gear down the processor speed. =/ All well I am moving on and learning what I can from the experience.

78 Posts

March 28th, 2013 07:00

What did you do as far as the GPU is concerned when changing the CPU? I'm thinking that it's possible that the GPU is overheating because the thermal contact has been disturbed.

5 Posts

March 28th, 2013 08:00

Nah, it's not the GPU.

When I first took the heat sink off, there was no thermal compound residue on it. It had some kind of cover over it instead of the bar brass like the CPU had over it. I did put the thermal compound on the GPU lightly.

Even still, if the GPU was overheating. I don't think it would cause the CPU to be forced to be reseated in order to work. I would think it would just shut down, and restart like normal.

78 Posts

March 28th, 2013 11:00

Hmm, then is it possible that you were sent two faulty CPUs? I'd try another. Just like, any old CPU that will work.

No Events found!