Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

ST

21 Posts

April 10th, 2008 05:00

Question: How Much For New LCD Screen For E1505?

Hi, I have an E1505 and my wonderful cat scratched the 15.4 inch LCD screen. It's not bad at all...about a 1/4 of an inch long and about 1/4 of a centimeter wide. I'm sure most people would so...meh...big deal, but I'm very @nal about things....got a bit of obsessive compulsive disorder in me. Anyway I want to get it fixed and I know they'll have to replace the whole screen. Does anyone know how much that might cost?

I will have had it a year in June. It's in perfect condition, save the scratch. I have the non-glossy screen and was wondering if it would cost anymore to get the glossy screen instead? Thanks in advance!

Message Edited by Sithtiger on 04-09-2008 11:19 PM

340 Posts

April 10th, 2008 06:00

Approx. $200 from Dell Parts.

New cat---priceless!

21 Posts

April 10th, 2008 07:00

Actually after messing around with it....it's pretty annoying....the scratch I mean.  Could I upgrade my warranty to Complete Care and save money?  My warranty runs out on 6.10.2008.  It looks like I can add the 1 year Complete Care.  Of course it only covers me for about a month or so, but it would save me about $100....right?  Wouldn't you say that would be the best thing to do?

21 Posts

April 10th, 2008 07:00

Hmmmmm......thanks.  I'm thinking the scratch isn't that bad....espcially not $200 bad!  I'll just have to talk to Dell later today and see what they have to say exactly and weigh my options.  Like I said.....it's really quite small, but still....everything else is perfect.

549 Posts

April 10th, 2008 11:00

I know there are processes to shave down windshields to remove all the pits that accumulate over time instead of replacement.

There is a product used to remove yellowing/scratches on automotive headlamps.

Then there is the removing scratches from CD/DVDs, so they can be used again.

You may be able to try plastic polish, like http://www.autogeek.net/motplaspol.html

If you're up to it, get some and try it on something similar, since there most likely isn't an inconspicuous spot on the LCD (unless you want to try a small amount just on the scratch.

This seems to be another product:
http://www.properautocare.com/scoffplpokit.html

Polywatch - PLASTIC LENS SCRATCH REMOVER
http://www.amazon.com/POLYWATCH-PLASTIC-REMOVER-REMOVES-SCRATCHES-ACRYLIC-TUBE/dp/B0014R9V9O

Polywatch Review

Displex or Brasso Review
Message Edited by DeathRider on 04-10-2008 09:24 AM

2 Posts

April 10th, 2008 22:00

No, you can't get CompleteCare anymore. It's too late. You can only get it when you purchase the system. [if you could you get it anytime, then everyone would get it only when some bad thing happened to their system. ;)]

21 Posts

April 10th, 2008 23:00

Actually you're right and wrong.  I could have gotten it, but since I told them about the scratch first, I would have to get the scratch fixed first and then I could get the Complete Care until June 10th of this year.  That's what I get for being honest!  This is what they told me....had I not told them about the scratch, I could have gotten the Complete Care....up til June 10th 2008 that is.

It's no biggie....the scratch isn't that bad, but what I'm going to do is just get a Dell E1505 15.4 in screen and install it myself.  It will cost $200, but it's allot better than going with Dell's out of warranty service which they first wanted to charge me between $400 and $500.  Then they came back with an amazing offer for only $300....sorry, that's way too much.  I'll just buy one for $200 and do it myself.  I should be able to do it myself...I build desktop computers and have messesd with laptops slightly...still.  This is the way I'll go.  If anyone else has any ideas I'm all ears.....thanks. 

340 Posts

April 11th, 2008 04:00

Pull up the Service Manual for your computer on Dell Support. It has step by step instructions and pictures.

Service Manual

Message Edited by Jakpro on 04-10-2008 10:16 PM

21 Posts

April 11th, 2008 05:00

Thanks!  That will certainly make me feel better to see a diagram to help.  It looks pretty straightforward though.  I build and work on both hardware and software on desktop computers occasionaly, but I've done very little with laptops.  Still, it doesn't look that bad...thanks again! 

I can't believe Dell's out of warranty service tried to 5ape me with charging me $500 and then went down to $400 and then down to $300.  I wonder how many people just OK and pay the $500.  I would buy from Dell again, but only for laptops and who know...I might start working on laptops now because of this experience and start building my own...lol.  That's what got me into building my own desktops PC.  I owe a debt of gratitude for the ineptness of Sears PC tech for my awesome Packard Bell computer....sorry....I'm babbling again.  Anyway I'm glad I have this as a reference now! 

21 Posts

April 12th, 2008 09:00

One more thing....is there any sort of solution that I can use to make the scratch less noticeable until I can buy a new LCD?  Something that might fill in the scratch like is used for fix glasses or CD/DVD's?  Thanks!

21 Posts

April 12th, 2008 09:00

Message Edited by Sithtiger on 04-12-2008 03:43 AM

549 Posts

April 12th, 2008 12:00

I just found this:
http://www.ccfldirect.com/lcdre.html
$95 plus shipping.

Product Description
This is a replacement service of the LCD's existing polarizing film. We utilize the highest quality polarizers available which gives your LCD screen surface a factory fresh appearance. No more scratched up surface.

1.8K Posts

April 12th, 2008 19:00

I don't know how thick the polarizing layer is on a normal LCD screen and how deep this scratch on your LCD is.  If this scratch went beyond the polarizing layer, then replacing the polarizing layer is not going to get rid of the scratch in your LCD.  This reference here puts the thickness of the polarizing layer at only 0.08 to 0.15 mm. 

21 Posts

April 13th, 2008 04:00

Cool....thanks!  I think this is exactly what I need!

21 Posts

April 13th, 2008 04:00

I'm not sure how thick the scratch is but I don't think it got past the top layer.  The scratch didn't create a hole just a scratch.  I'll take a pic of the scratch and post it and you guys can tell me what you think but I think I'm OK.
No Events found!