Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 29th, 2016 11:00

Quick question about Nvidia adapter in XPS15 9550

I just took delivery of the system a few weeks ago (coming from a 2012 XPS 17 l702x that's showing its age, even with 16GB ram), and no issues with it of any importance but I do have a question that I'm very curious about. The Nvidia adapter (GeForce GTX 960M) is supposed to be a selling point, right? So why is it when I open the control panel to see what programs it is used for, it is basically only Chrome and all other programs the Intel with no option to choose. 

Am I missing where to change a setting to allow me to choose to at least have the option to use it?

On a positive note, the laptop is a peresonal computer but went with this one for muscle to run some CPU intense programs, like autoCAD for work. I like lots of visible "acreage" on the screen so the 4k monitor is a great change from the HD of the l702x. I have been going back and forth chatting with Dell support, having a hard time getting through the flow-chart responses to try and ask a simple question of if the system will extend the display to a second screen in 4k, and is so, what will I need hardware wise.

The final result from tech support was I need a  Thunderbolt 3-DisplayPort adapter and get a 4k device with DisplayPort input ( Turns out, that's not cheap), as the onboard HDMI output does NOT support HDMI 2.0. This is all while he knew I had (have) a Dell DA200 adapter.

Yesterday I was very close to a local Best Buy so I went in and asked if I could hook up my XPS to one of their 4k TVs with a USB-C to HDMI adapter, and if it worked I'd buy them both. Though I reluctantly agreed because I've read much to the contrary, he said we need to use an UHD HDMI cable. So through the adapter the display MIRRORED in 4k (which I knew it could but not what I need) but when I changed to EXTEND, it dropped off and the system didn't recognize the device and the TV didn't see any input signal. But, when I moved the HDMI to the onboard port of the XPS, it ***' worked! No problems.

So I a 40" TV for my 4k monitor and the non-UHD HDMI cable works fine, plus I can use the DA200 adapter and run my current HD monitor along side the XPS 4k screen. So the display extends through three screens if needed. Not bad at all. Pays to take your system down and try it out first.

Thanks for looking

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

November 2nd, 2016 08:00

You should be able to use the Nvidia Optimus software to choose the Nvidia GPU for all or any one application.

8 Posts

November 2nd, 2016 09:00

Thanks for the response. I looked at the link and unfortunately that page is from 2010 and I'm sure they are progressed since then. There is no "view" option on the control panel (I'll attempt to attach a pick of screenshot with version). I may be asking something that doesn't work or is not possible. Since the post, I installed the Adobe PS Elements that was included with the PC and it defaults to the Nvidia. I can't change other things that, to me at least, you'd think should use the better graphics, like Windows Photo Viewer.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

November 2nd, 2016 10:00

Click the Global Settings tab. What options do you see?

8 Posts

November 2nd, 2016 11:00

There I can choose to use the Nvidia as the "preferred graphics processor" which I had done. Still locks down those apps listed by default.

However before responding to your latest, I clicked "Add" button under program settings and realized that's how I add programs to the drop down list. When I do that, I am given the option of which to use.

I added AutoCAD and selected the Nvidia, that was my first try. I did a few more but chose to use global settings. Now, when I go to the programs with global settings, I can click the drop down and change the setting. HOWEVER the autocad is locked. The "Remove" button is disabled as I thought I could just remove it and then Add again and do it right.

Can I do that?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

November 2nd, 2016 14:00

Hmm, maybe change the Global to AutoSelect. Then see if you can edit the autocad. Maybe time to ask Nvidia on their Forums.

No Events found!