Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 25th, 2017 16:00

Random Blue Screens / Shutdowns on new XPS 13 9630

Issue is intermittent. I randomly get critical kernel power failure errors, where the laptop turns off, before rebooting to the dell start up screen where I get a 'please wait'. I then get the 'Windows didn't load correctly' blue recovery screen. Laptop can be be used as normal until the issue happens again.

No issues otherwise. All drivers are up to date. Laptop passes all of Dell's hardware tests.

I haven't yet tried resetting and/ or reinstalling Windows but I don't have the time to reinstall my applications at the moment.

Any advice on what I should do?

3 Posts

December 1st, 2017 08:00

Found out on Reddit that this is known issue effecting this model. Both Reddit and Dell support suggested downgrading the BIOS to 2.1.0. However, I've not used the laptop long enough to know if this fix has worked.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 28th, 2017 12:00

:emotion-2:

I'm assuming Windows 10 is on the system....

In the meantime, please check if latest windows updates are installed on the system.Type Settings onto the [Cortana] search box, click Update & Security, and select Check For Updates. If there're updates, please don't wait later to  install, click Restart Now. Do the process over and over until  latest updates are installed. The latest is Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.

Get the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 28th, 2017 13:00

I would return it.

A brand new laptop should not be doing this.

Don't end up with a lemon which never works.

64 Posts

November 28th, 2017 23:00

. Type command prompt in cortana search bar then left click and choose run as administrator . a window will open...Type or just copy and paste from below. There is a space after  sfc

sfc /scannow

from administrators command prompt.  If still errors run it a few times. Then run DISM tool, again from command prompt. Run as administrator

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Then SFC again. Then run checkdisk from admin command prompt

.  chkdsk /f

Just copy and paste those commands into the command prompt. Be sure to run in administrator mode

.Windows also has many troubleshooters and you may want to use them as windows graduates builds and changes system files..

Settings> Update and security>troubleshooters

It would seem as Windows advances their upgrades, more problems are popping up. If your computer has updated to FCU then try these commands to see if it helps (even if it hasn't updated  yet).. I myself have also disabled fast shutdown so windows can detect  drivers at startup. I also completely shut my machine down. .I  use performance settings.  I also do not use hibernate. .I  also turn off Defenders controlled folder access as it does not let drivers (manufacturers)) make modifications to folders that may need to have modifications. It would  be a great program but does not give you an easy interface to whitelist drivers and apps.. So for me it is disabled. It blocked a driver update for me the other day which I reported in the hub.

1 Rookie

• 

14 Posts

December 2nd, 2017 21:00

Type in System in your Taskbar Searchbar. Click on "System." In the window on the left hand side, click "Advanced system settings," then click "Settings..." under "Startup and Recovery." Uncheck the box that says "Automatically restart" under "System failure."

Turns out Windows systems have that option selected so in case of System failure, the computer will automatically reboot to prevent the computer from further damage. However, by unchecking that box, instead of a reboot, a dialogue box will pop up and tell you what exactly went wrong with your computer. So far, no dialogue box showed up, and my Dell XPS 13 isn't randomly rebooting...So far so good. Never had another random reboot in 2 days and counting. Please try this and let me know if this is a fix. Would be beyond happy if this simple trick fixes things...

No Events found!