Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 22nd, 2012 10:00

Random shut down of my Dell XPS L501x

Hello,

This is my first post to the Dell community as I lost all my faith to the dell service centre personals. Their fix is always linked with another defect. I visited the service centre 4 times and will be 5 soon with this latest fault.:emotion-6:

The latest one is described below.

Whenever I do any type of computer work I place it in a flat surface to avoid any kind unexpected shut down. I have noticed that it is normal scenario when the laptop is over heated; it shut down by itself to avoid any kind of damage. But now a day’s my laptop shut down randomly without any kind of heating issue.

Previously I thought that it may be an issue related to overheating. But when I try to turn it on, it again shut down abruptly just after the Dell logo. Next day I again tried to turn it on, it boots and started normally but again sometime after it shut down automatically.

I did all the tests (including stress test) using Dell PC check up: No errors found (Pass).

I also did the extended pre boot checks (30 mins) by selecting the Fn (function) key and then the power key: No errors found (Pass).

I uploaded a video to youtube (follow the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo5tFhQPP0w). In this case I want to remind you that at that time the battery power was full (It does not matter how much power your batter have. It’s also happening without any battery power source.)

The problem encountered before ,

1. Computer is performing very slowly. (Hard disk was faulty)

2. Computer power button was not working. (Mother board was faulty)

3. Failed to read any DVD. (DVD ROM was faulty)

4. USB port and some keys were not working.

If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.:emotion-2:

Thanks & Regards,

S R MOULIK

5 Posts

May 1st, 2013 14:00

Yes the problem is resolved now.Just take your laptop to your dell service center immediately.This is a serious issue with the hardware.

When I  I got my laptop back from dell service center I asked them what was the root cause of this issue. They told me that the root cause is not clear to them.They gave me the support log where I found that they changed my motherboard/hard disk/back cover etc to solve the issue.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

October 23rd, 2012 12:00

S R MOULIK

I may be able to help.  Please shoot me a private message, just click on the link in my signature and then click start conversation.  In your message please include the service tag of the notebook, your name, address and phone, and I will be happy to take a look.

TB

3 Posts

January 18th, 2013 09:00

Hello

I have the same laptop with the same problem, was this resolved?

T

1 Message

April 16th, 2013 12:00

Terry B.  I am having the same issue.  I have just completed a Dell Data Safe backup and factory reset thinking that would help the issue however I can't even get past the boot process without the same shut down.  Please help - I love this machine...  Thanks

4.4K Posts

April 17th, 2013 02:00

Hi  jtrzeff,

Welcome to the Community,

Have you tried running the onboard hardware diagnostics(tap F12 on start up,Dell Logo and select Diagnostics)?

Check and confirm if the system fan is running normally and also if the system is overheating.

Please private message me your system Service Tag number.To private message click on my user name and click start conversation.

I will check your system details and get back to you.

Thank You

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 1st, 2013 04:00

Hi I also have the same problem, with my dell xps l501x could someone explain how to fix it.

I noticed that when I move the lid or pressed front panel laptop just shuts down for no reason.

Sometimes the laptop is running for several hours, but small move and is switched off, there is no problem with the temperatures

TY

4.4K Posts

May 1st, 2013 05:00

Hi  Michu88,

Did you run the hardware diagnostics(tap F12 on start up,Dell Logo and select Diagnostics)? Does this happen when the system is running only on battery or even when the AC adapter is plugged in?

Thank You

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 1st, 2013 06:00

Hi, Roshan L

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes I ran the hardware diagnostic and it passed all tests

This happens when the laptop runs on batteries as well as when the AC adapter is plugged in.

It looks like some short circuit.

TY

4.4K Posts

May 1st, 2013 06:00

Hi Michu88,

It could be some faulty/loose connection on the system board.

If your system is within warranty I can check for repair options.

Please private message me your system Service Tag number.To private message click on my user name and click start conversation.

5 Posts

May 1st, 2013 14:00

Yes the problem is resolved now.Just take your laptop to your dell service center immediately.This is a serious issue with the hardware.

When I  I got my laptop back from dell service center I asked them what was the root cause of this issue. They told me that the root cause is not clear to them.They gave me the support log where I found that they changed my motherboard/hard disk/back cover etc to solve the issue.

2 Posts

October 30th, 2013 10:00

Hello,

I know this thread is old, and that is partly my problem. I am having this same shutdown issue on my l501x. It has only been recently that I have really been using this machine intensively. Thus I discovered this shutdown problem after my warranty has expired. So, I imagine you could understand that I feel pretty cheated if I'm out of luck.

Am I out of luck? or is this more like a recall situation. After reading the previous post it seems to me like the latter.   

2 Posts

November 21st, 2013 08:00

Thanks for all the help... 

Looks like that's going to be the last Dell I'm ever buying. 

No Events found!