Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 26th, 2012 13:00

Re-install Windows 7 Insimpron from backup from identical Insimpron

Dear forum, I have a bit of a problem.

My 8 year old niece returned from holiday today and brought her new laptop back with her broken.

Apparently some one dropped her laptop on holiday and it now doesnt boot. Now, I have checked the laptop out,

and it does start up etc. so the hardware is likely still ok. Although the disk appears to be corrupted as the laptop will not boot into OS Win 7,

Not sure if the HD is damaged or not, The system repair doesnt work, and I have been trying to reinstall Window 7 from a disc restore disc set from an identical Insimpron. Which I have.

Now when I try to reinstall the Disc image from this disc set, I get this Error.

"Re-Image your computer.

The system image restore failed.

Error details: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)"

Can any one give me any advice as to cure my problems. Also, some info with regards to whether I can or can not use the disc image restore discs from my other identical Insimpron or from the dell data safe app. I would be really grateful.

Thanks for reading. Kind Regards

:-)

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 26th, 2012 16:00

Press F12 at powerup and run an extended hard drive diagnostic.

6 Posts

August 27th, 2012 10:00

Thanks for the help. I will follow your advice and do a hd diagnotic.

Will post up results when finished. Thanks.

6 Posts

August 27th, 2012 10:00

Hello. I have just run the F12 diagnostic and have recieved the following results:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Error

Error Code 2000-0142

Validation 27607

Msg: Hard Drive 0 – S/N WD-WX61E41CHS37, self test unsuccessful. Status = 7

The given code and message can be used by Dell Technical Support to help diagnose the problem.

Do you want to continue testing?

Yes No etc.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

** Hard Drive 0 – DST Short Test **

Test Results : Fail

Error Code 2000-0142

Validation 27607

Msg: Hard Drive 0 – S/N WD-WX61E41CHS37, self test unsuccessful. Status = 7

No Events found!