Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2015 05:00

Really disappointed on new Dell XPS 13 2015

i bought a new dell XPS 2015 with i5 and touchscreen and i have many problems with it that it seems dell is not going to do something about them.

1.the fan isn't do the job in normal way,when i attach the charging cable the fan runs continuously till full charge.

2.even when laptop is cool the fan kicks in and runs in high rpm(in many reviews they said that this laptop is not loud but its not true,even on lightweight tasks the fan kicks in many times and runs in high rpm and takes so long to lower the rpm.)

3.the CPU caps on 0.57 in power saving mode ,  0.77 GHz in performance mode .it happens many times and it seems changing the CPU TDP ,speed step in bios, or deleting the Dell or Intel software's is not solving it.really bad performance even on routine tasks.even in these situation fan kicks in!!! laptop is cool, cpu is cool but the fan runs!!!

it seems it is an unfinished product and rushed in to market.all of the problems that i have will be solve by bios update or software update but it seems that they don't care.many people here have the same problems.i will wait till the new macbook comes out,if they solve the problems i will keep it if not i will buy the mac because i had the macbook pro retina and that machine was dead silent even under loud, was so reliable and the new one is so great.

3 Posts

March 10th, 2015 12:00

My i3 has similar CPU issue, getting locked at 0.57GHz by default setting.

My fix is still having speedstep enabled but setting TDP to 2.1GHz (for you should be 2.2GHz). I am pretty sure this fix applies to all new XPS 13 that having CPU locking issue.

I agree that Dell new xps 13 *** and the new macbook is much much better. I will definitely purchase the new macbook when it comes out. However I do need a windows laptop and I choose Dell new XPS because the size and screen.

Apple is killing windows OEM laptop manufacturers like it's killing android smartphone manufacturers as well. However, the OEM manufacturers like Dell and Motorola deserve it.

March 11th, 2015 08:00

My i3 has similar CPU issue, getting locked at 0.57GHz by default setting.

My fix is still having speedstep enabled but setting TDP to 2.1GHz (for you should be 2.2GHz). I am pretty sure this fix applies to all new XPS 13 that having CPU locking issue.

I agree that Dell new xps 13 *** and the new macbook is much much better. I will definitely purchase the new macbook when it comes out. However I do need a windows laptop and I choose Dell new XPS because the size and screen.

Apple is killing windows OEM laptop manufacturers like it's killing android smartphone manufacturers as well. However, the OEM manufacturers like Dell and Motorola deserve it.

i changed the TDP setting but again sometimes it caps on 1.2 GHz !!! . do you have the fan problem when charging the device?when i charging the device fan continuously runs in high rpm until full charge. 

3 Posts

March 11th, 2015 11:00

if it caps on 1.2GHz even when system is not idle, then it may be some other issue. My machines have been working well since I changed the TDP setting; cpu ranges between 0.8GHz to 2.2GHz according to usage.

I uninstalled most pre-installed software, but I recall there is a cooling strategy setting in Dell Power Management. You can configure how fans work when AC power is connected. You should also be able to configure the cooling strategy in window power plan setting as TDP as well.

March 14th, 2015 02:00

if it caps on 1.2GHz even when system is not idle, then it may be some other issue. My machines have been working well since I changed the TDP setting; cpu ranges between 0.8GHz to 2.2GHz according to usage.

I uninstalled most pre-installed software, but I recall there is a cooling strategy setting in Dell Power Management. You can configure how fans work when AC power is connected. You should also be able to configure the cooling strategy in window power plan setting as TDP as well.

yeah i know about this settings ,changed them, but it does not making it better!! still  charging= high rpm fan noise

14 Posts

March 17th, 2015 18:00

I've the exact same problem on my i5-5200U / 8GB / FHD / A01.

CPU multiplier was stuck at
6x -> 0.599GHz

So I changed the Config TDP Level in the Power Management to 15.0W@2.2GHz. The muliplier changes now between
8x and 13x -> 0.798 - 1.298Ghz !  (But doesn't go higher)

Deactivating cpu speedstepping via Bios gets
25x - 27x -> 2.498 - 2.7Ghz

Deactivating speedstepping and TurboBoost a constant
22x -> 2.2Ghz

I don't know what to do. I already tried a full os reinstall and updated the Bios.

No Events found!