Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 19th, 2009 08:00

Realtek audio issues on my Vostro

Hi, I have a Vostro 1310 with both XP and Vista installed via a dual boot and separate partitions. Dell installed XP on the machine and then sent us the Vista disks as part of the package. However as far as I'm aware the out of the box software is designed for Vista. Yet 99% of the time I use XP due to specific software requirements. Anyway I seem to be incurring issues with the Realtek Sound Manager/audio card that was pre-installed under Vista. Whenever I listen to an audio source on the laptop things are generally fine, However if I watch a video on Vimeo or You Tube the audio is terrible, it sounds as if wind is blowing across a microphone and the original audio is muffled and quiet.

We have several PC's/Macs on our premises and I've accessed the same video files via different machines with no similar problems, so it's not the connection or the files themselves. Only this Dell Vostro plays up when accessing them. Can anyone shed light on this? For example are there a set of XP Realtek drivers that can downloaded?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 19th, 2009 09:00

You are probably correct that it is a driver issue, but if Dell pre-installed XP then you already have the XP driver. The XP one is R179413 (5.10.0.5512). The Vista driver is R179426 (6.0.1.5555). You can find either on the Vostro 1310 downloads page.

Both are initial releases ... no newer versions yet.

5 Posts

March 19th, 2009 10:00

Thanks. I've got the 5.10.0.5512 driver installed, so should be fine on XP. What I don't understand is why it seems to work fine on stuff played from the HHD. To be completely accurate it's 95% fine. If I listen very carefully there is a tiny bit of distortion exactly as it occurs with web delivery, i.e. like wind noise in the background.

Is there anyway I can uninstall Realtek and just run with XP's audio interface, or is Realtek so integral to the Vostro audio set up?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 19th, 2009 14:00

I don't know the cause of the problem. Do the other computers you have tried have the same dvd playback software as the 1310?

The Realtec chip you have follows the Intel HD protocol, meaning it needs an HD driver. Although there is a generic AC97 (the earlier protocol) driver in XP, there is no generic HD driver, so you have to install one. There is a generic HD driver in Vista.

There are a lot of Realtec drivers on the web. You might be able to find one compatible with the 1310.

5 Posts

March 20th, 2009 05:00

I don't know the cause of the problem. Do the other computers you have tried have the same dvd playback software as the 1310?

The Realtec chip you have follows the Intel HD protocol, meaning it needs an HD driver. Although there is a generic AC97 (the earlier protocol) driver in XP, there is no generic HD driver, so you have to install one. There is a generic HD driver in Vista.

There are a lot of Realtec drivers on the web. You might be able to find one compatible with the 1310.

Thanks, I appreciate your time and effort in asnwering. Unfortuantely while I understand in principle what you've just said in practical terms I wouldn't know where to look on the net, what exactly I'm looking for nor how to install whatever I eventually find. Can you point me in any direction or give me an idiots guide to what I need to do.

Thanks again.

4.6K Posts

March 21st, 2009 07:00

Try these Realtek HD Audio drivers (/"codecs") to start with?

5 Posts

March 22nd, 2009 17:00

Thanks. That sorted it! Bless you!!!

4.6K Posts

March 23rd, 2009 07:00

:emotion-21:

Be sure to now mark the problem as 'solved' - highlighting the post which provided the solution, for the benefit of anyone else with a similar problem, who comes across this thread :emotion-5:

No Events found!