Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2009 14:00

Recording from system, not microphone?

I'm recording a video file using camtasia and the sound is cheese because it appears to be using the microphone rather than directly from the sound card. In control panel I don't see any other options for recording devices except for Microphone/Line in and Microphone array. So when trying to select the source in camtasia preferences there aren't any other options to choose from.

I'm on a xps m1530 Vista.

Any help would be great. Thanks

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 8th, 2009 15:00

You need to select "stereo mix" as the recording source, but because the Vista Sigmatel driver does not have it you must use the XP version.

1. Delete the Vista driver. (Uninstall and choose the option to delete the files.)

2. Download the Sigmatel R171789

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

audio driver. This is an XP driver with stereo mix.

3. Unzip the folder but cancel the installation.

4. Go to the expanded folder and right click on the setup.exe file. Click the compatibility tab and select XP(SP2) Compatibility Mode.

5. Double click on the setup file to install. When you go into the audio properties you should have Stereo Mix.
(Forum member RascallyRob posted this tip on 1-06-08.)

So far this is reported to work on

Inspiron E1505/6400,1520, 1720 and 1721
Latitude D620 and D630
Vostro 1400 and 1500
XPS M1330, M1530 and M2010

Forum member mom2mac posted that this also worked with an M1530 running Windows 7. She used the compatibility mode for XP SP3.  -- tip posted 8-8-09

You might have to additionally disable the mic array -- I'm not sure about that.

17 Posts

September 8th, 2009 17:00

I found that post right after I posted! It worked too ;)

Thanks Jim..

16 Posts

November 19th, 2009 14:00

Hello Jimco,

I have the same problem with Sygmatel on an Inspiron 1720 (to upgrade the driver so I can have a "stereo mix" and "Record what I hear") but my laptop is running on Vista. I have been hunting everywhere for a driver for that OS, but to no avail. Would you have any suggestion ? (for the time being, I record with a cable shunt from the earphone outlet to the mic input, and it works. But it ain't the ideal.... (have to put the volume to a mini mini minimum...)

Thanks for your advice

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 19th, 2009 18:00

Use the same driver and instructions that I posted earlier in this thread. The instructions assume that you have Vista. They are for making the XP driver work in Vista.

I have had people tell me that it works fine on the Inspiron 1720 and others told me that the result was not so great. So no telling how it will be for you until you try it out.

"But it ain't the ideal.... (have to put the volume to a mini mini minimum...)"

If the jack is configured for "microphone" change it to be "line-in".

16 Posts

November 20th, 2009 08:00

Hi and thank you for the quick reply: I have tried to install the XP driver, but when I right click the setup.exe file there is no "compatibility mode" tab . And I do not see an "Install program" command in control panel like there was W98 or XP. Of course, when I want to install the driver without setting an XP compatibility, my Vista System says: "wrong system" ! Thanks also for the tip on the mic/line in switch.

With best regards

16 Posts

November 20th, 2009 09:00

Sorry to come to you again, but I fail to find the switch to change the mic input on my Inspiron 1720....

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 20th, 2009 16:00

I don't know why you do not have the option to use compatibility mode.

"Sorry to come to you again, but I fail to find the switch to change the mic input on my Inspiron 1720...."

When you insert a plug into the computer's input jack, you shoud see a dialog box on the screen that asks whether it is a mic or a line-in that you plugged in. If you don't see the popup box then go to Start/Control Panel/ Sigmatel and check the 'allow popups' box.

16 Posts

November 22nd, 2009 10:00

Hello Jim,

I should really have filled myself the missing step in point 4 of  your walk through for installation of compatibility mode (to go first to "Properties" of the file to find the Compatibility tab). So I am ready to go through the process now. But before I proceed, please reassure me on one point: If I encounter problems after the change, can I reinstall the original sigmatel driver just by a simple restart ? I will let you know anyway if the new driver works fine on my 1720.

Thanks and best regards

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 22nd, 2009 12:00

Sorry about the incomplete instructions. I don't have Vista and no one had previously pointed out to me the problem. The instructions were originally provided by Rascally Rob.

****************************************************************************************

After you delete the driver you cannot install it again by rebooting. If you want to reinstall the Sigmatel Vista driver after deleting it  you would have to download it from the 1720 drivers download page.

What will happen if you reboot after all Sigmatel files have been deleted, is that Vista will load its own Intel HD audio driver. That will give you sound but not all features will work again until the Sigmatel is reinstalled.

16 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 01:00

Hello Jim,

Everything went smoothly in uninstallation and reinstallation of sygmatel different drivers. But still could not see and use the "Record what you hear" option in the mixer. So I went back to original sigmatel driver and am pursuing my recording by physically connecting the headphone out and mic line in. Thank you very much for your help along  this operation and very best regards.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 23rd, 2009 04:00

The function that the Sigmatel XP driver R171789 gives you is named "stereo mix", not "Record what you hear". "Stereo mix" is Sigmatel's name for what used to be called "Whatyouhear" on Sound Blaster sound cards.  If you successfully installed the R171789 driver then "stereo mix" would have shown up as an option on the Recording tab as a recording source along with mic and line-in.

Sorry that it did not work out for you. Thanks for the feedback.

1 Message

February 6th, 2010 16:00

I'm bringing this thread back to life to say the following:

• The solution posted here did work. However, Camtasia recognizes "Stereo Mix" as a separate audio device, whereas one might assume otherwise because underneath the drop-down box for selecting an audio device, there is a choice for "Microphone", "Speaker audio (what you hear)" and "Microphone and speaker audio". The way to get it working is simply to choose "Stereo Mix" from the drop-down list. The quality is pristine and everything seems to be working fine.
  • The second reason I'm here is to ask if anyone has been able to record both their microphone and the stereo mix at the same time. Since the microphone and stereo mix are recognized as separate devices in Camtasia, this is impossible, and you can't switch inputs once you start recording a video. If anyone has any idea how this might be solved, please let me know.

If it helps, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit on a Dell Inspiron 1720.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 6th, 2010 17:00

Thanks for letting me know it works for 7.

You cannot record from 2 sources at one time for the reason you said; you cannot select more than one source at a time.

No Events found!