Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2011 15:00

Recover files from hard drive

Hello everybody.

First of all Happy New Year!!

I made a stupid mistake and turned off the laptop while it was rebooting. The laptop (Dell Inspiron 1545) cannot be turned on anymore (there's only a red flashing power LED).

I do however have very important files on the hard drive which I desperately need. How can I transfer files from the Hard drive onto an USB stick or something similar? I looked at various videos online, and I believe that I now know how to take out the hard drive, but I do not know how to transfer the files.

If someone could help me, please?

Thanks in advance!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 4th, 2011 15:00

Remove the hard drive, mount it in a 2.5" SATA USB 2.0 case (about $10-20).  Attach to a working system, and copy your files.

6 Posts

January 5th, 2011 07:00

Remove the hard drive, mount it in a 2.5" SATA USB 2.0 case (about $10-20).  Attach to a working system, and copy your files.

So, does this case have the bit like an USB stick which I can just stick into a working laptop? I looked for it online, it costs about £6, so it's not expensive. I might give it a try but I am aftaid that I might somehow damage the hard drive when taking it out... seeing as I haven't had luck with laptops so far.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 5th, 2011 07:00

The case will attach to a USB port, the same way a flash drive does - yes.

6 Posts

January 20th, 2011 18:00

The case will attach to a USB port, the same way a flash drive does - yes.

Hi there again!

Would this be ok to transfer my files?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LUPO-Inch-SATA-Hard-Drive/dp/B0030Y58LY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295577306&sr=8-1

Do I need anything else? Any cables at all?

Thanks for helping!

No Events found!