Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

January 31st, 2017 11:00

Recovery Disk

I have a 32GB flash drive and the recovery disk is unable to be created because of errors. How do I create a recovery disk ? I have Inspiron 5558 with 64 bit Win 10 and 8 GB RAM.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 31st, 2017 13:00

Would you let us know what the errors are you see?

Try making the recovery drive without checking the box for System files.

Do you have an original Win 10 install or an upgrade?

10 Posts

January 31st, 2017 16:00

It only says recovery disk could not be created because of errors. I do not have the original Win 10 install, the laptop came with Win 10.

10 Posts

I am unable to backup the system files. I can make the recovery disk without checking the box for system files. Will a recovery disk work without the system files?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

A recovery dive may contain 3 major components.  First is the recovery tools needed to run any type of recovery operations.  It will then create an image of the current build install and finally the OEM supplied components.

For this to happen, the current install needs to have no system file problems. Running a system file check would tell you if there were problems. So, open an admin command prompt and type

sfc /scannow

It also needs to be able to find the recovery tools and images.  So, again in an admin command prompt type:

reagents /info

Let us know if the system file check shows errors.  Copy and paste the results of the reagentc command.

The last question is, have you made any changes to the original partition configuration?

10 Posts

February 1st, 2017 06:00

No change in original partition configuration

10 Posts

February 1st, 2017 06:00

SFC no integrity violations

Reagents not recognized as internal or external command

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 1st, 2017 07:00

Sorry, the spell check changed the command and I did not catch it.  if it changes again, use a c where the s is..

reagentc /info

10 Posts

February 1st, 2017 07:00

Windows RE status:         Enabled

Windows RE location:       \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition4\Recovery\WindowsRE

Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: 5ce0c1c0-317e-11e5-a726-204747b85808

Recovery image location:

Recovery image index:      0

Custom image location:

Custom image index:        0

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 1st, 2017 08:00

The readout shows the Recovery Tools in Partition 4, which is probably the one just behind the OS partition.  

It does not give a path to any type of Factory image.  So that part will not happen.

Did you try making the drive without checking the box for System files?

If you look in Windows\Logs there is a RecoveryDrive folder with a couple of logs.  Maybe one of them would show something.  In the Setupact.log look near the end and work backward.  You might pick up an error code or comment as to what happened.  If you see "Failed" that might the actual problem since you may see errors for several reasons which don't matter.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

You would have a way to boot your system if the normal process refused to work, for whatever reason.

After you make it, check if there is a large file (over 3 GB) included which would be a Win 10 image.  If it is not there you could use a much smaller USB drive.

The other thing you might consider is to download the Dell Recovery image.  I believe, but not sure, you can only download that image if your system is operational.  So waiting until something breaks may be too late.

10 Posts

I could make the drive without checking the system file box. Will this still work?

10 Posts

Thank you for your help. I will try to find Dell Recovery image.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 1st, 2017 09:00

:emotion-2:

Please click on link below and expand Operating System.....

www.dell.com/.../advanced

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 1st, 2017 10:00

I do suggest you purchase a portable external drive and then create a system image backup of windows 10.You can purchase one at your local Walmart or Online. I do recommend you get at least 1TB storage and recommend Seagate Backup Plus Slim portable external drive. Please, keep in mind, you can store other important stuffs on the drive as well. Please click on link below.

youtu.be/rtPrM3-k0jQ

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 1st, 2017 10:00

Also,

You can use the free backup tool on the system or use a paid backup software such as Acronis, click on link below:

http://www.acronis.com/en-us/

No Events found!