Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

January 30th, 2009 10:00

Registration of laptop

How do I register my laptop? I purchased a laptop from Best Buy and before I took it home they transferred my files from my old laptop to the new. They may have cancelled the pop-up for product registration. I can't find anything on my laptop to start the process. HELP!!!

4.6K Posts

January 30th, 2009 10:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

A quick search on the Dell website (hint) found this 'How do I register my new Dell computer?' page.

However, that assumes you bought the product from Dell themselves, so you'll have to contact them, to find out how you register a system bought elsewhere?

I'd suggest 'Customer Services' would be your best option. 

Even if you don't/can't do it through them, they'll be able to advise you accordingly :emotion-5:

3 Posts

January 30th, 2009 11:00

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, customer service is 'not available' when I call. It says call back later. I have tried for 3 hours now......

4.6K Posts

January 30th, 2009 13:00

Is the 'Online Chat' option not available in your part of the world?

If not, you'll either just have to keep trying tech support, or send them an email?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 30th, 2009 14:00

I am not sure about Best Buy registration, but we have all the warranty information associated with the service tag. There is no need to register with us. We see what coverage you have when you call in. Originally BBy's agreement with Dell was that they would support all tech issues with Dell systems through Geek Squad, but recent policy changes have relaxed that restriction on our end. If you call up Dell Tech Support, they should be able to handle most supported, in-scope issues while you are under warranty. You can see the warranty terms and conditions for your system here by clicking the various links and providing the required information.

4 Posts

February 4th, 2009 10:00

I just went through this very thing.  There isn't a registration card/info in the packet of info supplied with the laptop.  I, too bought mine from Best Buy.

I e-mailed customer support and they sent back a letter with a link to a form you have to fill out..."Transfer of ownership":emotion-43:

You will need your service tag number from the bottom of the laptop.  They suggest hooking up your laptop to the Ethernet cable and have them read the service tag....they couldn't read mine??  I ended up calling customer support and after 30 minutes was connected to someone in India that I couldn't understand.  After spelling out everything , I was finally able to get it registered and she gave me a customer number for future reference.  I don't understand why they can't have a normal product registration like everyone else...fill out form and submit..

Good luck

3 Posts

February 4th, 2009 10:00

You cannot chat online unless you have an order number. Bummer.

Finally heard back though. I submitted a transfer of the laptop from Best Buy to me. Dell wrote me an email saying no transfer is required. They now have my info and I can get technical support from Dell or Best Buy. Great!

3 Posts

July 16th, 2009 14:00

Dell has fixed it...  go here:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/register_your_product?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

Need your service tag number and the rest is easy...

Mike

No Events found!