Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

August 3rd, 2010 06:00

Remote Control on 1330 does not work. Do I need software?

I have had my 1330 for over a year but never tried the remote control.  Now I find it is not working.  Do I need some software (other than Media Center) to make it work?  I didn't install the battery until today, so doubt it could be dead.  I also installed Windows 7, so am hoping that is not the problem.  Does anyone have the remove working under Win 7 (32 bit)?  Thanks!

64 Posts

August 8th, 2010 18:00

I am answering my own post because I was able to find the answer doing some online research.  (Dell support only told me (incorrectly) that the remote would not work with Win 7 (or that Win 7 wasn't supported on the M1330, which isn't exactly the same thing.)..but they had no help for me.)  It is apparently a registry setting that is not turned on that prevents the travel remote from working in Windows 7.  Here is the instruction for making the change:

Enable Universal Remote Control - If you have a universal remote control you may need to enable it. A reboot is required for this setting to take effect.

• Registry key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da
  • Registry value - EnableDebounce
  • Registry value data type - REG_DWORD
  • Registry value data - 1 = enable universal remote control; 0 = disable universal remote control

I was not able to find the exact key as my first key ended in db rather than da (all else was the same).  I made the value change in the "db" key and also the "dc", just to be safe.  I think it was already 1 in the key ending in df.  I don't think that it would hurt to change others if the first two don't enable the remote, but in my case, that is all it took.  Reboot before trying the remote.  Dell should really have this fix available from their support team. 

If you want to look at the complete web article where I found this, here is the link:  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2006/04/29/586961.aspx

Hope this helps anyone with this problem.

February 2nd, 2011 13:00

I am answering my own post because I was able to find the answer doing some online research. (Dell support only told me (incorrectly) that the remote would not work with Win 7 (or that Win 7 wasn't supported on the M1330, which isn't exactly the same thing.)..but they had no help for me.) It is apparently a registry setting that is not turned on that prevents the travel remote from working in Windows 7. Here is the instruction for making the change:

Enable Universal Remote Control - If you have a universal remote control you may need to enable it. A reboot is required for this setting to take effect.

• Registry key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da
  • Registry value - EnableDebounce
  • Registry value data type - REG_DWORD
  • Registry value data - 1 = enable universal remote control; 0 = disable universal remote control

I was not able to find the exact key as my first key ended in db rather than da (all else was the same). I made the value change in the "db" key and also the "dc", just to be safe. I think it was already 1 in the key ending in df. I don't think that it would hurt to change others if the first two don't enable the remote, but in my case, that is all it took. Reboot before trying the remote. Dell should really have this fix available from their support team.

If you want to look at the complete web article where I found this, here is the link: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2006/04/29/586961.aspx

Hope this helps anyone with this problem.

This is what I'm looking for, Thanks for your effort! It's comprehensive.
No Events found!