Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2016 09:00

Repeating episodes of permanent battery failure

I have a Dell Inspiron 13-7368 which fell off a chair a few weeks ago. When I opened it again, it was refusing to charge and displaying a flashing orange light that indicated permanent battery failure. However, when I ran diagnostics and rebooted, the flashing light disappeared and it charged just fine. Diagnostics showed that there wasn't a problem with either the battery or the charger.

A week later, I saw the flashing light and got the permanent battery failure notice again. I ran diagnostics and rebooted again, and the problem seemed to fix itself. Diagnostics again indicated no issues.

Is this going to be a periodic occurrence? My battery has fortunately been close to full every time this has happened, but I'm worried that this will occur when I don't have enough juice and it will refuse to charge again. Any insights or suggestions?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 12th, 2016 10:00

If you haven't checked the connection between the battery and mainboard, that would be the next thing to do.

If it's tight and the problem re-occurs, it's either a damaged battery or mainboard as the result of the fall -- I'd lean toward it being a damaged mainboard, but the battery is cheaper to replace first (about $120 vs. $300+ to replace a mainboard).  Since this is accidental damage, the warranty won't cover it.

No Events found!