Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 27th, 2013 07:00

Replace hard drive in new laptop

Hi

I just bought a dell laptop (Inspiron 15R – 7520, Windows 8) online and want to change the hard disk, just had a few queries around this:

1) How do I find out if I can put in a SSD or Hybrid in place of the normal HD?

2) To change the hard disk I have been told that I need to create a recovery disk then insert the new drive into my laptop. Run the recovery disk. Is there anything else to this?

3) By doing step 2 above will my new drive become “C Drive”?

4) How do I reformat the old drive to remove windows so I can use it a sa back up device? Can I plug in via usb and wipe in windows?

Cheers

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

August 28th, 2013 22:00

Hi R15H_22,

I am sorry for the wrong information provided.
Inspiron 7720/17R SE systems are offered with dual hard disks with a combination of mSATA drive which enables you to use several technology found in Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

Please provide the system tag information to check the configuration and assist you further. Send me a private message with the system service tag to assist you further. Please click on my name and click Start Conversation to send me a private message.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

August 27th, 2013 22:00

Hi R15H_22,

Yes you may replace the regular HDD with a SSD. This system also comes with mSATA drive which functions on IRST technology (mSATA is a small SSD). In case you decide to replace the HDD with SSD, IRST technology gets nullified and mSATA goes waste.

Instead I recommend you to replace the mSATA drive with a bigger capacity (it will cheaper than the regular SSD) on which you may install the Operating system and use the regular HDD for data storage.

Either replacing the HDD to SSD or upgrading the mSATA drive, the Operating System has to be installed manually. Recovey discs created are for regular HDD.

Before changing the HDD or upgrading the mSATA you will have to disable IRST technology.

3 Posts

August 28th, 2013 00:00

Hi

Hi thanks for the message, the model I have now bought is 17r  7720. I was told by sales that this model comes only with a 1tb drive with no extra space for any other drive. So that's why I was going to replace the hdd with a ssd as I was told isrt was not possible.

Can you confirm this please?

if it does have two bays for drives, are you recommending that I leave the hdd in place and just add a small ssd to run on isrt?

I guess as I don't know how many bays/drives come with the laptop it's hard to decide what to do without knowing that first.

cheers

3 Posts

August 29th, 2013 02:00

Hi

Thanks i'll send you a private message.

No Events found!