Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 12th, 2013 21:00

Replacement OEM Key

Hi, I recently received an Alienware M15X and decided to reinstall Windows. What I failed to notice however, is that the OEM key on the laptop has rubbed off and is unreadable in its present state. Is there a way that I can get a new OEM key? I can provide a picture of the sticker if need be.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 14th, 2013 12:00

Hi, I am also having this issue. I already reinstalled Windows so I can't go back now.

Follow my Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean install of Windows 7:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

In Step 8 install without a product key. i.e. select skip when prompted to enter a product key. This will allow you to evaluate Windows 7 for 30 days. I assume this is the stage you are at.

If this is the case follow Step 11f of a Clean Install of Windows 7 (page 55-56), and this will allow you to activate your Windows 7 Installation in the same manner the Product Activation on the Dell Windows 7 Reinstallation DVD works. It will input the Dell System Locked Preinstallation key and when your restart your computer, Windows will verify that the system has an eligible Dell BIOS and activate or not activate accordingly.

3.1K Posts

Hi Blaise170,

If you are using OEM disc to install Windows on your computer, it would not ask for a product key. If you are using a Retail disc, then the product key would be mentioned on the disc or on the package. 

If you simply wish to re-install Windows on your computer, you can perform PC Restore. If the system is booting to the desktop screen, you can create System Recovery Discs which you can later use to re-install the operating system on your computer. Re-installing Windows using the Recovery Discs would not require a product key.

6 Posts

I obtained a legitimate ISO of Windows from the Microsoft website (retail disc). I've restored other laptops before with the OEM keys, but I can't with this one since I can't read it.

3 Posts

June 13th, 2013 12:00

Hi, I am also having this issue. I already reinstalled Windows so I can't go back now.

3.1K Posts

June 14th, 2013 07:00

Hi Blaise170,

As mentioned in my previous post, if you want to re-install Windows on your computer, you can perform PC Restore.

Are you facing any issues with your computer? Does the system boot to the desktop screen? Is there any specific reason you want to format the computer?

3.1K Posts

June 14th, 2013 07:00

Hi N_Zezima,

Could you please share more details on the issue you are facing? Is there any error message that you get?

Awaiting your response.

6 Posts

I installed an SSD into it for faster boot times. There's nothing wrong with it except that Windows is not activated.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

You will have to buy a new Copy of windows.  The Generic OEM Key cannot be used to activate windows.

6 Posts

June 14th, 2013 13:00

The OEM key can activate Windows. I've used OEM keys from HP, Toshiba, and Dell, and all three worked fine. Thanks.

3.1K Posts

June 15th, 2013 09:00

Hi Blaise170,

Were you able to activate Windows using the steps suggested by natakuc4? If no, then share the service tag of the computer and the name as it appears on the account via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation). so that I can check the system records.

No Events found!