Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

May 9th, 2013 08:00

Replacing XPS17 adapter: No suitable 150W adapter?

Hi all,

A few days ago my adapter died. I had the original 150W adapter that was provided with my purchase of the XPS17 3D-version (L702x). 

Now, while looking for a replacement, I cannot find it anymore. The suggested adapter according to the website is a 130W-version. I have therefore ordered this right away, but now I wonder whether this will work. In the meantime I have found a different Dell 150W adapter, but the website says its only for the Alienware series (see Dell part : 450-14627 ). For your information, the code of my old adapter is 450-16096.

Can I start using the 130W adapter when it arrives or should I return it and ask for the 150W adapter instead? Any advice on this matter would be appreciated. :emotion-21:

7 Posts

May 9th, 2013 09:00

Hi Appu, thanks for your reply and your help. I have the following graphics card:

490-12665 Graphics : 3GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M Graphics Card - 3D Capable

This means that I should thus get a 150W adapter, correct? If so, I have ordered -and paid for - a 130W adapter a few days ago. What is Dell's policy on returns? (Customer Service in my country (The Netherlands) is closed today due to national holiday, so I cannot contact them for more info).

7 Posts

**Cant find a EDIT option**

I have no warranty as I only had the 1-year basic warranty, which expired almost a year ago.

3.1K Posts

Hi Ruud85,

Thank you for the response. Usually, Dell has a 21 days return policy. You may contact me via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation). I can look into this matter. Please include the following details:

-Order#
-Account Name:
-Date of Purchase:

Please reply if you have any questions.

7 Posts

I have sent you the information you requested and we'll continue this via private chat. Thanks again Appu!

3.1K Posts

Hi Ruud85,

An 130W AC Adapter is used for integrated graphics card and 150W discrete graphics card.If your system originally came with 150W AC Adapter, then your system might have been shipped with discrete. Using a 130W might not charge the system and may cause issues later on.

Let me know if your system is in warranty; would be glad to assist.

7 Posts

May 10th, 2013 04:00

Appu, could you let me know whether or not you have received my message and what the follow-up steps are for my product return/swap? Or should I contact the Dell servicedesk in my own country for quickest solution? Thanks!

3.1K Posts

May 10th, 2013 09:00

Hi Ruud85,

I have checked the details. The best option looks like to cancel the order and re-order 150W Adapter. Let me look into the possibilities. I will keep you posted.

3.1K Posts

May 10th, 2013 11:00

Hi Ruud85,

You may contact the local support team for your region and check if they can cancel the order for you. Unfortunately, I have limited control over this process.

The next option would be to return the product once you receive it. Then order a new 150W.

No Events found!