Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 8th, 2013 02:00

Require Complete Guide for Adding SSD to Inspiron 17R SE(Inspiron 7720)

i have dell inspiron 17 r se(7720) [i5-6gb-2gbGT650-1tb]

i wanted a complete guide from starting till end to install a new ssd into primary bay and install a fresh win7 on it and use it as a boot drive,

And to remove win7 from my previous 1tb drive and use it just for storage.

i wanna know how to  do the bios setting to make the ssd as primary/boot drive and hdd as storage drive.

also suggest which is the best 128gb ssd for my 7720?

i was considering samsung 840 series or crucial m4.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

August 8th, 2013 03:00

Hi saurabhbadenkal,

Inspiron 17R SE is configured with a mSATA SSD(optional) along with the hard drive, to improve the system performance. It needs to be disabled to change the hard drive, if a mSATA drive is configured in the system.

Please follow the steps provided below to disable mSATA SSD:

1. Power on the computer
2. Press F2 when you see Dell logo to enter system setup
3. Highlight Advance
4. Change SATA Operation to AHCI
5. Highlight Intel Rapid Start Technology and press Enter
6. Disable iRST Support
7. Press Esc and Highlight Exit
8. Press Enter on Exit Saving Changes to save changes and exit

Please follow the steps provided in the Owner's Manual to remove the primary hard drive (located below the Battery) and connect it to second hard drive slot located next to the memory modules. Connect the SSD into the primary hard drive bay. You can download the Owner's Manual from the following link and by clicking on the "Manual's & Documentation" tab:
http://dell.to/117d6Zu

You will have to install Windows 7 on the SSD by booting from the Windows 7 installation disk. Please follow the steps provided below to boot from the installation disk:

1. Insert the installation DVD into the Optical Drive.
2. Restart the system and start tapping F12 at the boot logo.
3. Select CD/DVD drive from the list and press Enter.
4. Press any key to continue when you get the option to "Press any key to continue.....".
5. Follow the onscreen instructions to install Windows 7.

You can format the hard drive and create a single partition for storage, which you have moved to the secondary HDD bay by deleting the partitions using Windows Disk Management. For information on how to use Windows Disk Management, please visit the link provided below:
http://dell.to/19PiI46

Samsung and Crucial SSD's provide similar performance and you can select any one among them, based on the price that is economical to you.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

1 Message

March 21st, 2015 18:00

Hi,

this is exactly what I want to do, ie. replace my 1TB hard disk with a 1TB SSD.

I press f2 and change SATA to AHCI

BUT the next steps (5 and 6) in your guide are not possible. I cannot get to Intel Rapid Start Technology because it is not highlighted. I simply can't change it.

Thus on boot windows tries to start and I get BSOD.

Can you please tell me how I can disable ISRT on my 15 SE 7520?

Cheers,

Mark

No Events found!