Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 16th, 2013 06:00

Restore Inspiron Mini 1011 to original factory configuration.

i would like to restore this mini to its original factory settings/configuration.

when i look at the hard drive through admin tools/computer management/disk management i see a partition on the hard drive labeled "dellrestore" (status healthy unknown partition, capacity 9.75 GB, 6.7 GB free space). but i can not find any way to access/initiate the restore tools ( i am assuming the 3.05 GB used space on that partition is taken up by an original image or the tools to restore) in that partition. i can not open or view the partition through disk management, the partition is not read or available through windows explorer. there are no shortcuts/links to the tools in the programs groups leading to the tools on the dellrestore partition.

i have searched the forums (admittedly i am not the foremost data miner) and only found a couple short references to this process.

i have tried F1, F2, F8, F10, F12, and ctrl F11 on boot. though a variety of options are presented none are for the dellrestore functions.

i have tired this "http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&docid=52182" option "3. PC Restore" and get "Article Not Found. The chosen document is not currently available. Please try again later". i have gone back to this several times in the last few days without finding anything different.

i am open to any ideas, am really flumiczed by this. i really don't want to just yank the hard drive, wipe it, and do an install on a raw drive.

thanks for your help.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

July 16th, 2013 07:00

Hi cwlocke00,

Please refer this link to restore the system to factory settings for Windows XP operating system: http://dell.to/13MzsYe

If the steps do not help, the only option to set the computer to factory settings is to reinstall the operating system.

As Inspiron Mini 1011 does not have an optical drive, you need to connect external USB optical drive to install the Operating system from CD.

Please post the results.

17 Posts

winxp home, believe it is original factory install (don't know for sure). but i am fairly confident it is not an upgrade installation.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

What operating system is on the computer?  And has the OS been manually installed or upgraded before this?

17 Posts

July 16th, 2013 09:00

worked well.

thought i had tried that, maybe my timing was off.

thanks.

17 Posts

July 16th, 2013 09:00

the instructions on the link given by DELL-Nikhil-D are what worked. sorry bout any confusion in my replies.

No Events found!