Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 17th, 2013 02:00

Restoring recovery partition and mediadirect on inspiron 6400

Greetings,

After deciding to give my old inspiron 6400 to my parents I formatted everything and installed win xp from the scratch. What I did not know was that I also wiped out recovery partition and media direct partition, so I am wondering is it possible for me to restore those without reformatting everything once again and it seems that I do not have anything but OS DVD (the black one). I mean these are not very critical for their use but if something goes wrong then it'd be handy to have the recovery partition/utilities and mediadirect may help them to watch dvds etc.

I'd be very glad if someone may help

Best Regards

3.3K Posts

May 17th, 2013 02:00

Hi qbeec,

If a clean installation of operating system was done on the computer, the registry path for the factory image would be lost.

If you find any operating system issues in future, you may use the Operating system disk to reinstall Operating system.

Refer the following link to install Operating system:

http://dell.to/17Dw2qM

Awaiting your response!

4 Posts

May 17th, 2013 03:00

Greetings

Thank you for these steps, however, I am not sure how these steps help me with mediadirect/recovery-diagnostics utilities partition issues

Best Regards

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 17th, 2013 05:00

You'll have to manually reload Windows - the recovery partition and the diagnostic partition cannot be reloaded.

www.dell.com/.../ArticleView

No Events found!