Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

15 Posts

December 16th, 2007 21:00

Returning a product + Exchange Help

I recently just purchased a Dell M1530 with these configurations and I am pretty upset at how slow this system runs. Especially my games, I was hoping to build a semi-decent laptop that could run WoW with no lag on high settings as well as Counter-Strike and hopefully Crysis on medium settings with now lag:

Current Configuration:
XPS M1530
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor @1.5ghz w/ 677mhz FSB
2 Gigs of Ram
5200RPM HD
NVidia 8400M GT DirectX10 Card w/ 128mb

Not only do the games run slow, but I am disapointed that my brothers HP laptop which is cheaper runs better over-all.

I want to return this config and get one with the 256mb NvIdia card, and a processor with at least 800mhz FSB, and possibly a better HD.

Anyone know if Dell would charge me restock for an item thats been open for only 2 days and if the system i'm considering getting would run Crysis on Medium well? Right now I can only play on low settings with everything for it to run smoothly on the current config. Any suggestions are appreciated. I really wish I could just get this system to run a bit faster.

3.6K Posts

December 16th, 2007 22:00

Get a 7200rpm HDD,and the 256mb graphic card and if you can afford it i would go with the T7250 or T7500 cpu if you are running vista consider getting 3gb ram instead of 2gb.Having problems running these games you might consider downloading the windows vista hotfix for gaming KB940105.

101 Posts

December 17th, 2007 01:00

Hi Wittbolds...

About half-way down, you will find an entry for the Dell Return Policy.

You say you have had your system 2 days.  It is longer than that.  Your Invoice or Packing Slip Date is the start of your Return Time as stated in the Dell Return Policy Statement.

As I read, you may have a 15% restocking fee if your system is not defective.  Not liking a system does not make it defective.  But, if the sytem is not performing properly and cannot be corrected, then it may be considered defective.  You should contact Technical Support or Customer Service immediately if you want to declare your system defective.  They of course will need to prove to themselves that it is defective to effect a correction to your situation.

I have found that Dell is very understanding and wants the customer to be satified with his purchase.  Anger and threats will not prevail.  Preparation and cooperation will.  Stress your dissatisfaction with system performance.  Provide facts for support of your dissatisfaction. 

Good luck.
Regards,

RM

15 Posts

December 17th, 2007 03:00

I appreciate the replies, and thanks for the insight runnman, dually noted.

Luckily for me, I have found that the computer's media bar volume+ button is defective...going to call them tomarrow ask for a return and try to get a better model.

101 Posts

December 18th, 2007 11:00

Wittbolds...Please let us know how you made out.

You would love the XPS m1730 with the X7900 Processor and the Dual GeForce 8700GMT with 512MB Memory Video Card.

Hoping to hear your update!

Regards,
RM

December 18th, 2007 17:00

I have an XPS M1530; 2.4ghz, 4GB ram, 7200 rpm hdd, 8600m GT 256mb; Vista Ultimate 64bit

I have had pretty good luck with this notebook; it plays games well, and is still very portable. If you want a gaming monster, I would of buy the 17" XPS gaming notebook. It weighs as much as a lead brick, but you can really crank out the polygons with one of those things.

Everything is realational. If you have a light weight notebook that is portable, you can not expect full system replacement gaming performance; especially with the lowest end hardware possible. It sounds like the original poster got the laptop as cheap as he could, but expected fully loaded performance; which is just unrealistic.

That said I am happy with the gaming performace of the 1530M, - I have run CS source on highest settings with no lag; the included CSS video stress test averaged 138fps.

- I ran WoW highest settings no system lag even in a full raid with massive particle effects.

- CoD4 highest settings average @32fps

- 3Dmark 06, all d3d set to highest quality: 4349 3dmarks

I have not really had enough time to run a full suite of benchmarks, but If anyone wants me to run a specific benchmark, just let me know in this thread, and I will look for your replies.

Ron

15 Posts

December 18th, 2007 17:00

I decided to just return the computer and have it fixed up. I am a student and was required to get a laptop for by forthcoming Business classes at college. Dell was very nice about the problem and issues I've had. I guess because I decided to go with the XPS, I expected better than average performance out of it simply because of its name; getting a little ahead of myself.

Then I came to this conclusion: better for me not to be able to play games high end or at all on the laptop which is supposed to be for educational purposed anyway and save some money; especially when I already have a Dell Dimension Core 2 Duo 3.2ghz processor 4ghz of ram and a better videocard :3 so I'll play games on that when I have free time. Need to focus on the school work!

Thanks for the input guys, I was just being too picky :P

15 Posts

December 19th, 2007 14:00

So here's what I have done Runman:

Computer 1: The one I originally purchased is being returned entirely with full refund.

I was able to find some nice deals and coupons today which allowed me to get this 2,247$ XPS system for merely 1296.00. I found some deals today which allowed for price to account for this system:

Dell XPS M1530:

PROCESSOR                                           Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB, 4MB Cache)
OPERATING SYSTEM                            Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium Edition
LCD AND CAMERA Glossy, widescreen 15.4 inch LCD (1280x800) & 2.0 MP Camera MEMORY 3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms) HARD DRIVE Speed: 160GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write) VIDEO CARD 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT WIRELESS CARDS Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card BLUETOOTH OPTIONS Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0+Enhanced Data Rate) BATTERY OPTIONS 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery SOUND OPTIONS Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition My Software & Accessories ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE Trend Micro Internet Security 15-months My Service WARRANTY AND SERVICE Get $70 Dell Gift Card with 4Yr In-Home Service, Parts Labor- Next Day ACCIDENT AND THEFT PROTECTION Add Accidental Damage and LoJack Theft Protection to 4Yr Warr. DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP DataSafe Online Backup 10GB for 1 year
Grand Total: 1269.00$ USD. Merely 103.00 more than I paid for the lowest end model you could build all thanks to the support of triple AAA. !

101 Posts

December 19th, 2007 15:00

Hi Wittbolds...
Great!  Super!  You made an outstanding change for the better!  Great price too!
That new configuration will do you right!  You can be extremely pleased!
I am glad you worked things out.  Dell wants customer satisfaction and your results proved that.
The very best to you with college and have a Merry Christmas!

Regards,
RM
No Events found!