Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 25th, 2017 23:00

[SOLVED] XPS 13 9360 External Monitor Flicker with USB C - HDMI Adapter [Killer Wireless Adapter]

Hello, I would love to ask for some help!

I've recently purchased the newer Dell XPS 13 9360 Non-touch (not the 2 in 1) and am having some trouble with using an external monitor. The screen (on the external monitor) keeps on flickering and has a very unstable connection. 

I've searched and found that apparently lowering the power output of the WIFI network adapter can fix this problem. 

The problem is that the current XPS's wifi adapter doesn't allow the power output to be changed. The previous fixes were geared towards intel wifi adapters.

The general power settings for the computers doesn't show wifi card power controls.

I have updated all the drivers for the computer including the wireless adapter. Still the options doesn't change.

Has anyone found a way to get a stable external monitor to work with the Killer Wireless Adapter cards?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-JDed

3 Posts

January 31st, 2017 10:00

Thank you all for your answers. It seems like it was just a bad adapter. I am now using a cheap adapter USB C --> HDMI (ONLY) and there is 0 flickering!

January 26th, 2017 09:00

For what it's worth: For me (XPS 13 9360, QHD, i7, 16 GB, Killer WiFi), external screens are perfectly stable, even with wireless being on relatively high throughput load, albeit not high power (energy) load.

I am connecting both HDMI and DisplayPort displays, each with cheap native USB-C adapters (i.e. through Thunderbolt). I also have full success with a Dell DA200, through its built-in HDMI graphics adapter.

3 Posts

January 26th, 2017 11:00

Thank you for your reply!

Hmmm... i see, you didn't have to play around with any settings? power output changes?

Perhaps I have a bad USB-C -> HDMI adapter/dongle.

I did order another one through amazon, but I will have to wait to see if this fixes things.

January 26th, 2017 12:00

Plug'n'play. Totally.

USB-C -> HDMI at about EUR 13 (Amazon Germany link: www.amazon.de/.../B01689Z7M2)

USB-C -> DisplayPort at about EUR 30 (Amazon Germany link: www.amazon.de/.../B019070UK8)

Depending on your location, those links might (not) help you; this is pretty much straight-forward, non-fancy, totally boring hardware, at low cost.

No Events found!