Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 18th, 2009 03:00

ST1747: 7x Bios beeps - Core i7 throttling - too less A/C adapter

more and more ST1747 users reports about reducted clock rates of their Intel Core i7, if similary their graphics adapter (ATI HD4650) is under heavy load! But the worse is yet to come, some Core i7 quits working, 7x Bios Beep, Game over, sudden death of the CPU! :emotion-45:

Update: the 7x Beep issue seems to be fixed since Bios A06!

UPDATE 03.2010: STILL OPEN ISSUES OF STUDIO 1747 / BIOS A07
if you have more suggestions for this list, don´t hasitate to inform/contact me!

►Core i7 Throttling
under simultaneous full load of CPU and GPU, Core i7 CPU throttles down to averaged 4x 1100 - 1400 MHz

►Performance between battery and AC power
most Studios runs with a bit more performance if only battery is connected

►Hot 90 watt a/c adapters
under fully load, the serially 90 watt adapter seems to work at/above its performance limit - temperatures over 70°C are not acceptable
 call your local Dell support for a free 130 watt adapter.

►Problems resuming from sleep and/or hibernate
if the 1747 "sleeps" more than 30-60 minutes it´s possible that it don´t resume anymore but turn it off&on "hard" by holding power-button

►Problems with playing FullHD-Streams
freezing/jerking, max. loaded and almost non-responding Studios if playing a FullHD-stream, e.g. Youtube
 possible solution, please look here. New Dell ATI driver in progress.

►Permanent running fan
fan starts causeless running at increased speed shortly after turning the 1747 on. Fan keeps blowing at increased speed, even if Windows boots all over and CPU idles - because of the still-blowing fan only at ~32° C. You can stop the fan only with a reboot or by stressing CPU - if temperature reaches 48°+C, fan slows down to lowest level. Turn off stress test, temperature drops below 48°C, fan turns off then. Confirmed by several users. 4 new users reported me this curious issue in the last few days!

►Too less temperature range for fan
fan needs an extended temperature range in office mode. At the moment fan turns on at ~53°C and off at ~48°C. That causes the fan to start&stop every 10-15 seconds, very bothering

►Cutted sound
If the IDT sound "idles" for a while and you play then any sound, the first ~0.5 seconds are cutted! This happens only one time, following sounds are played correctly! If you stop and wait a few minutes, the next sound after this idle time is cutted again

►Not enough power to USB ports and Firewire
There are pages upon pages of various users all experiencing the same issues.

take also a l@@k at German Studio 1747 FAQ @ Hardware Luxx forum | sorry for my rookie englisch! ^^

67 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 06:00

GPU-Z of course shows the VBios string, but you can´t read out/save the VBios anyway: "BIOS reading not supported on this device." My Bios version is VER011.022.000.005.034427.

41 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 07:00

Just yesterday after not using/turning on the computer for an entire day, I turned it on and it froze after windows started up.  Had to perform a forced shutdown to get it to work again.

Do you have the latest Chipset driver installed (version 9.1.1.1022)? If you do, then which BIOS version are you using?

10 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 07:00

Just yesterday after not using/turning on the computer for an entire day, I turned it on and it froze after windows started up.  Had to perform a forced shutdown to get it to work again.

10 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 09:00

I'll check when I get home and post.  I know I have A07 for BIOS but not sure about chipset drivers

69 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 09:00

video bios  VER011.022.000.005.034427  too. even though motherboard bios is still A05 because I don't want to burn people or cats at home...

55 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 10:00

My Laptop is due to arrive tomorrow from Fedex, First priority for me will be to reformat and do a clean install of windows 7 Ultimate (Providing of course that it arrives in one piece), thus dumping all the Dell preinstalled garbage, then install all the latest up to date drivers and my programs..I should be busy for the next day or so, hopefully by the end of the week we will get some answers as to what Dell will be doing concerning replacement of the PS as well as the throttling and lockup issues.....

31 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 11:00

Well, I thought my freezing issues were fixed by combo of disabling screen dimming and Intel Chipset driver update (downloaded from Intel, not Dell).  Unfortunately, this is not so it appears.  System froze yesterday during install of Civ4, was doing nothing else at the time.  This is by far, the most important issues to users who are experiencing it, I would say.  I can deal with throttling or 1080p crashes since there are workarounds.  Random system freezing is not acceptable. 

Basically the system still displays the last image on the screen.  Keyboard/mouse are unresponsive, but still drawing power from usb ports, backlight on keyboard works, can hear fan.  I have to do a hard boot to clear this.

Just for some history:

Original BIOS - A03, purchased Nov 27th, got it on December 11th or 12th.

System experienced intermittent freezes while doing fairly low power activities.  Updated drivers from Dell's site with no improvements.

Updated to A04 - no changes with freezes of the system

Did full system reinstall with Dell provided OS CD - no changes

Updated ATI drivers to 9.12 - no changes

Swapped to SSD primary drive with system reinstall - no changes

Updated to A07 - no changes in system freezes, still occurred at random intervals

Updated ATI drivers to 10.3 and updated Intel Chipset.  Did not have any freezes for couple days and then got another one yesterday.

I think at this point I give up and going to call Dell for motherboard replacement.  I am hoping to get a board with higher 2D default voltage.

77 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 11:00

video bios  VER011.022.000.005.034427  too. even though motherboard bios is still A05 because I don't want to burn people or cats at home...

Which program did you use to read this out?

PC Wizard 2010 reports:

Video BIOS Information

Date: 09/24/09

ID: BR034427-002

Catalyst:  8.632.1.2000

The ID number contains the same string as there is at the end of your VER number. So it seems to be the same video BIOS version.

(System BIOS versions that had/have been installed: A01, A03, A04 and A07, I think)

So it is a question, DELL or ATI engineers have to answer, under which circumstances what voltage and clock is used (and how to change it).

15 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 12:00

Hi guys,

haven't been on the forum for a while since had troubles with internet, so tried to keep up with all the posts I missed, and made it at last! (took me a few evenings though)

Actually I was bummed down finding out the A07 Bios didn't work well (that's why I haven't upgraded yet) but I do appreciate what both Todd and Bill are doing.

I had a problem few days ago: I put the notebook on hibernation for not too long and, when I pushed the power button to wake it up, it turned out with the screen displaying GREEN, BLUE and RED colors in sequence (full screen) ; than it went off and I had to push the power button again to make it recover from hibernation (actually don't remember if the system just had to reboot from the beginning). Had this problem just once so far (actually I RARELY put the notebook on hibernation, and never did on sleep mode, since I've been waiting for a definitive BIOS release).

I still got all the "out of the box" drivers installed from Dell (so far didn't make any updates at all, except the ones from Win7); got A05 (no major reasons to downgrade with the upgrade given :emotion-18:  ) and, if ever important, Intel PM55 chipset is of June 4th2009.

Just wondering if anyone can address this problem to a specific reason (what does it mean?) and/or reported it already: I haven't read about this happening before.

Anyway, I really hope to hear good news from the DELL guys about the decision we are ALL witing for: providing a reliable PSU + final bios release...

Thanks!

< Config: Dell ST1747 i7-720QM , standard monitor, HDD500Gb 7200rpm, 4Gb Ram  >

< ordered from Italy: Jan 5th 2010 || GOT it on Jan 29th || was expected on Feb 23rd  >

February 23rd, 2010 14:00

I know my issue isn't pertinent to the throttling issues we're having, but has anyone had problems with their quick access keys? 

I will often be using the computer and have one or two keys "activate" and the other keys lighting turns off.  The keys that seem to activate most are mute, settings, and eject.  I find that removing the battery and power supply fixes the issue for a few minutes but is this a common issue among 1747 owners?  I did remove the keyboard and checked that the ribbon cable was seated correctly.

EDIT:

Pressing each key for a moment turns the lighting for that key back on and will stay on until this issue happens again.  It's quite annoying when typing out a letter to have the settings menu pop up for no reason though.

77 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 15:00

How do we find out which rev. we have.. of course we could open up the laptop and see..

PC Wizard 2010 (www.cpuid.com) shows the product and serial number of the motherboard. While the systems are assembled at different locations, I regard it as unlikely, that the motherboard is produced at more than one location. So the serial number should have a direct relation to the revision number.

The Dell tech. showed me the rev. number at the board... but now I cant remember!!

Where was it located. Can you see it when just removing the main cover in the bottom of the notebook?

92 Posts

Location of serial number??

I just remember that he placed the motherboard with processor side up and then called the Dell tech.office and read the numbers on the phone.. then afterwards he stated that the board was a "old" revision... and ordered a new.. next day he came back... and now it worked... the one he started to install - actually didn´t work - and I asked him if this was normal that some boards didn´t work, even when brand new?? He had never been in that situation and didn´t have any logical answers... From the tech office they had told him that the board - may be damaged under transport??? He didn´t believe that!!!  Just a way to excuse the "non working" board...

Well it looks like Dell (Bill and Todd) are keeping the line... hope they find a solution...THE solution... i think we all know what we are waiting for!!

Peter

92 Posts

A motherboard problem??

As I wrote in - I had the Dell Tech. visiting me for a change of the motherboard - the motherboard actually worked fine at that time, but the problem was the unstable usb and firewire connections. He changed the motherboard - with a complete new one - and started up the pc...now the 7 beebs came, and even after reseting the cmos, it still had the 7 beebs and a complete dark screen.. Next day he came again, and brought another completely new motherboard that he installed to the pc... now nothng was wrong - it started up at first boot and has been running since...

I just asked him - what difference is between the two new motherboards you received?? - He told me that the first motherboard he installed was a older revision than the other... the second was the newest revision available...???  Now I´m just asking - who has new rev. and who has old? How do we find out which rev. we have.. of course we could open up the laptop and see.. The Dell tech. showed me the rev. number at the board... but now I cant remember!!

Is there a magnificant diff. between motherboards - and is the random crashes that some owners see - just a matter of revision number???

Peter

18 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 17:00

The technician who replaced my motherboard due to random lock ups said the two boards were from different suppliers and the one from the laptop was G with some numbers and the new one was H with some numbers.  The place where he put the cpu from my laptop was white in the new board.  I noticed it and asked him what the difference in the boards were.  My laptop would just lock up doing nothing.  Since the motherboard change on February 16th, I haven't had any lock ups.  I have got the A07 bios, and I did the modified graphics drivers and chipset drivers from the people on this great site.

8 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 17:00

Okay, so I've been following this forum with interest, as I plan to put in my order for the Studio 1749 tomorrow. Kudos to everyone on here for identifying issues and fixes, and to the Dell representatives as well.

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but here goes -

My XPS M1710 finally gave up the ghost a couple of days back (Nvidia Bump Gate again!), and I had a choice between

Studio 1749

Intel® Core™ i7-620M (The 720QM is not an option on this anymore)

4096MB 1067MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM

1GB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650 (Seems to be a better card (directX 11) than the one offered on the Studio XPS 16. Can anyone confirm that?)

17.3” High Definition+ (1600x900) LED with TL (I really hate the fact that a better resolution is not offered here)

90W AC Adaptor

or the

Studio XPS 1645

Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 720QM

4096MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM

1GB ATI® Radeon™ HD 4670 graphics card

16" (inch) Truelife 1080p Full HD RGBLED Edge to Edge Display (Enhanced c

90W AC Adaptor (not the 130W apparently ?)

Considering the problems that plague them both, I'm not really sure. I hate the 1600x900 display (my xps was 1920x1200), but the graphics chip in the Studo 17 seems to have the edge? Do you think they have restricted the resolution (no RGB LED) and also removed the 720QM processor option to reduce power consumption? Low power to the USB peripherals is also a big concern, as I used to use 3 portable external drives, a cordless mouse and a webcam on my old XPS.

However the Studio XPS is still shipping with a 90w ac adapter. What do you guys think is the correct choice? Without access to a laptop, I'm rapidly losing the will to live!

Apologies once again if this is not the correct forum for this question.

Viren

No Events found!