Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 18th, 2009 03:00

ST1747: 7x Bios beeps - Core i7 throttling - too less A/C adapter

more and more ST1747 users reports about reducted clock rates of their Intel Core i7, if similary their graphics adapter (ATI HD4650) is under heavy load! But the worse is yet to come, some Core i7 quits working, 7x Bios Beep, Game over, sudden death of the CPU! :emotion-45:

Update: the 7x Beep issue seems to be fixed since Bios A06!

UPDATE 03.2010: STILL OPEN ISSUES OF STUDIO 1747 / BIOS A07
if you have more suggestions for this list, don´t hasitate to inform/contact me!

►Core i7 Throttling
under simultaneous full load of CPU and GPU, Core i7 CPU throttles down to averaged 4x 1100 - 1400 MHz

►Performance between battery and AC power
most Studios runs with a bit more performance if only battery is connected

►Hot 90 watt a/c adapters
under fully load, the serially 90 watt adapter seems to work at/above its performance limit - temperatures over 70°C are not acceptable
 call your local Dell support for a free 130 watt adapter.

►Problems resuming from sleep and/or hibernate
if the 1747 "sleeps" more than 30-60 minutes it´s possible that it don´t resume anymore but turn it off&on "hard" by holding power-button

►Problems with playing FullHD-Streams
freezing/jerking, max. loaded and almost non-responding Studios if playing a FullHD-stream, e.g. Youtube
 possible solution, please look here. New Dell ATI driver in progress.

►Permanent running fan
fan starts causeless running at increased speed shortly after turning the 1747 on. Fan keeps blowing at increased speed, even if Windows boots all over and CPU idles - because of the still-blowing fan only at ~32° C. You can stop the fan only with a reboot or by stressing CPU - if temperature reaches 48°+C, fan slows down to lowest level. Turn off stress test, temperature drops below 48°C, fan turns off then. Confirmed by several users. 4 new users reported me this curious issue in the last few days!

►Too less temperature range for fan
fan needs an extended temperature range in office mode. At the moment fan turns on at ~53°C and off at ~48°C. That causes the fan to start&stop every 10-15 seconds, very bothering

►Cutted sound
If the IDT sound "idles" for a while and you play then any sound, the first ~0.5 seconds are cutted! This happens only one time, following sounds are played correctly! If you stop and wait a few minutes, the next sound after this idle time is cutted again

►Not enough power to USB ports and Firewire
There are pages upon pages of various users all experiencing the same issues.

take also a l@@k at German Studio 1747 FAQ @ Hardware Luxx forum | sorry for my rookie englisch! ^^

31 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 17:00

I just remember that he placed the motherboard with processor side up and then called the Dell tech.office and read the numbers on the phone.. then afterwards he stated that the board was a "old" revision... and ordered a new.. next day he came back... and now it worked... the one he started to install - actually didn´t work - and I asked him if this was normal that some boards didn´t work, even when brand new?? He had never been in that situation and didn´t have any logical answers... From the tech office they had told him that the board - may be damaged under transport??? He didn´t believe that!!!  Just a way to excuse the "non working" board...

Thanks for the info, Peter.  I will call Dell up and have them come in and replace the board.  Have you had any system "freezing" issues since board replacement?  What BIOS are you running now, A07?

21 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 18:00

I have got the A07 bios, and I did the modified graphics drivers and chipset drivers from the people on this great site.

Would you suggest getting A07 bios, downloading chipsett from intell ( not dell ) and the beta flash reader and  and 10.2 ( it says 9.9  on adobe website) I am just trying to see if i should do these things when I first get the computer next week or just wait until there is a problem, because it sounds like there is definitely going to be a problem

21 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 18:00

Considering the problems that plague them both, I'm not really sure. I hate the 1600x900 display (my xps was 1920x1200), but the graphics chip in the Studo 17 seems to have the edge? Do you think they have restricted the resolution (no RGB LED) and also removed the 720QM processor option to reduce power consumption? Low power to the USB peripherals is also a big concern, as I used to use 3 portable external drives, a cordless mouse and a webcam on my old XPS.

Not sure, but think about it scientifically. Is the bump in graphics statistically significant enough to take a hit in speed and Display.  My first thought would be no. For that reason I would choose the 1645. I was reading a while ago in there threads that the A07 bios update and 130W solves a lot of there problems. It is interesting that they don;t offer the 720qm any more though. As I posted earlier Dell's main objective is to ramp down energy consumption by any means necessary. I seriously doubt that they will ship 130W out anytime soon. I am in the US and I ordered one 2-17-10 it's due next week, I regret not seeing this forum 2 weeks ago. Part of me is still excited because i'm not a gamer and I wouldn't know throttling if it hit me in the head. On the other hand, If i pay $1600 for something it sure as heck better do what it says it will.

55 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 19:00

Actually the i7 720's are still available on the Dell website, you just have to click on the core i deals tab and the i7 laptop is available starting at $1099.00...Thats where I ordered mine last week, it arrives tomorrow....

Specs: Studio 17(chainlink Black)

i7-720QM Quad

1GB 5 ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
17.3” HD+ (900p) Bright LED

500 Gig 7200 HD
4GB 2 Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz

9Cell Battery

Backlight Keyboard

Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g

8 Posts

February 24th, 2010 00:00

Actually the i7 720's are still available on the Dell website, you just have to click on the core i deals tab and the i7 laptop is available starting at $1099.00...Thats where I ordered mine last week, it arrives tomorrow....

Sorry, I should have said I'm using the UK site. I cannot see it on there can anyone else?

4 Posts

February 24th, 2010 01:00

Maybe im not looking hard enough and maybe its been noticed before (just not by me) but on the uk dell site you cant buy the 1747 with a i7 processor.... there is a 1749 that start with a i5 and a much better 5650 graphics card, but that not the 1747.

is the 1747 already redundant? i brought my in dec now the spec that i got arnt even a option......

by the way is there a way I could pay to upgrade to a hd 5650 (it the same casing at the end of the day).

69 Posts

February 24th, 2010 01:00

[quote user="thorcyar"]

video bios  VER011.022.000.005.034427  too. even though motherboard bios is still A05 because I don't want to burn people or cats at home...

Which program did you use to read this out?

[/quote]

GPU-z :emotion-5:

8 Posts

February 24th, 2010 02:00

Maybe im not looking hard enough and maybe its been noticed before (just not by me) but on the uk dell site you cant buy the 1747 with a i7 processor.... there is a 1749 that start with a i5 and a much better 5650 graphics card, but that not the 1747.

If you go to the Dell UK laptop home. On the left, under the how fast does it need to be tick Gaming, and you'll see the Studio 17 with the i7. Admittedly its not the 720QM but the 620M, but an i7 all the same!

On another note, I've just been exploring the Studio 15, and I cant understand why the specs seems much better than the Sudio 17 OR the XPS 16

Better resolution than the 17 - 15.6in Widescreen Full High Definition (1920 x 1080) WLED with TrueLife

Quad core processor (better than the 17) - Intel® Core™ i7-720QM

Better graphics card then the XPS 16 - 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD5470 Graphics Card

And Cheaper than both!

What am I missing? The Studio 17 and the XPS 16 seems like tradeoffs between Graphice / CPU / Screen

Viren

17 Posts

February 24th, 2010 02:00

I am in the US and I ordered one 2-17-10 it's due next week, I regret not seeing this forum 2 weeks ago. Part of me is still excited because i'm not a gamer and I wouldn't know throttling if it hit me in the head. On the other hand, If i pay $1600 for something it sure as heck better do what it says it will.

I feel exactly the same ... I'm not a gamer but judging by the comments  on this forum, I feel cheated too.  I could have paid much less for my personal requirements of a computer.  I have followed the advice of a poster on here and downloaded the Adobe Flash Player Beta Version 10.1 and the issues I had with my computer crashing whenever I tried to livestream seem to have been resolved (everything x'd).  Thank you to that poster!  But of course not all internet livestream sites seem to support this version of Adobe yet.  Still the main site I use does, so that's what counts.

I know that the guy at Dell Tech Support took over the machine to download a new BIOS earlier this month but I've no idea what A number it is.  There is a  A107 on my service tag site which is recommended for me to download but to be honest, I'm reluctant to tinker with this machine in case I create more problems for myself.  If this laptop has been discontinued here in the UK, I will feel VERY cheated!  And I wonder what right a company like Dell  has to decide for its consumers how much energy they will use? 

8 Posts

February 24th, 2010 03:00

You can still apparently buy the 1747 (with quad core Intel Core i7-720QM and 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650) with a 1600x900 screen in the UK. Check out the links from the DMXdimension.com website (5% discount code) or just pop the build code N0074507 into the search box on the dell.co.uk home page.

92 Posts

February 24th, 2010 04:00

Hey Oblom!

Since motherboard change - I haven´t had any problems as far! No freezing etc.. So, the third motherboard must be ok!

Now, I´m just waiting for my 130 w PSU and the A08 "full power" Bios (Maybe Dell Todd Bill have a "follow up" info on this issue????)

Peter

18 Posts

February 24th, 2010 05:00

I upgraded to A07, I used the graphics drivers as stated in the fixing of the video card 1080p on the top of the page.  It is stickied under the problem as fixed.  I also used the chipset that was discussed earlier in the thread where you had to copy the file they provided to the C: and run it from there.  I am not a computer pro at all, but the people finding these fixes explain things so even I can understand how to do it.  There is a link to the chipset files earlier in this discussion also.

1.8K Posts

February 24th, 2010 06:00

Hey Oblom!

Since motherboard change - I haven´t had any problems as far! No freezing etc.. So, the third motherboard must be ok!

Now, I´m just waiting for my 130 w PSU and the A08 "full power" Bios (Maybe Dell Todd Bill have a "follow up" info on this issue????)

Peter

There are no updates at this point.   The internal teams are still reviewing the various issues and deciding the best way to move forward.  I can't guarantee that there will be 130w adapters sent out nor can I guarantee that there will be a new BIOS upgrade.   Any comments stating that there will be are speculative at this point.

Todd

7 Posts

February 24th, 2010 07:00

[quote user="marenmols"]

Hey Oblom!

Peter

There are no updates at this point.   The internal teams are still reviewing the various issues and deciding the best way to move forward.  I can't guarantee that there will be 130w adapters sent out nor can I guarantee that there will be a new BIOS upgrade.   Any comments stating that there will be are speculative at this point.

Todd

[/quote]

DELL-Bill B wrote yesterday, "We are investigating qualification of a 130 Watt adapter, and how we are going to go about replacing them" (http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19310587/19663129.aspx#19663129)

@Todd: is this just speculation?

21 Posts

February 24th, 2010 08:00

They removed the option to buy a blu ray player on computers except alien ware. Looks like they ARE trying to fix the power problem by cutting back on some of the niceties. What does that mean for the people that bought them already

No Events found!